Who makes the best woodworker's tape measure?

Really? What make and models BS and blade cuts glue up quality joints? That is not the purpose or design of any BS or blade I know, and even if it could be done, it just isn't, far as I can tell. It's the wrong tool for the job, and he definitely has the right tool, a high quality table with sliding table.

Reply to
Jack

Yep, lots of complete morons around.

I think we are there, not "headed". I watched a couple of "Louder with Clouder" or whatever he calls his show on youtube and he goes to college campuses and interviews anyone that will talk to him. Besides the totally asinine views and stupidity of these left wing morons, what stuck me even more was the totally slovenly appearance of all of them. These kids look like losers to the nth degree, with bad attitudes, bad personal hygiene, lack of respect for themselves and the world. A while back there was a slogan, "the mind is a terrible thing to waste". Well, seems our educational system combined with lousy parenting has brought an incredible percent of our population to it's knees.

Reply to
Jack

I think I said 30, but, it is some awesome one pocket. I have some links to amazing 14-1 that any pool enthusiast should love, and it is fast paced. I hate slow pool which is one gripe I have about one-pocket. Tony is not slow I'm sure you noticed.

In you, or someone else wants to watch some good, fast paced straight pool, check out these: John Schmidt - 434 ball run:

Josh Filler - 285 ball run:

I'm going

Yes, he was out of the loop for a bunch of years, spent some time in the Big House, for what I don't know, probably drugs or beating someone to a pulp. He looks like you don't want to piss him off:-)

Reply to
Jack

I reckon. I thought about too, and still say it is the wrong tool for the job.

A few people do. No doubt, as I mentioned a zillion times Festering tools are all good quality, as are lots of others. You noticed said I mentioned festering tools just to play a little with Leon. Has nothing at all to do with using a BS to cut glue joints...

Good for him. Hope he makes more than cutting boards...

Possibly, but it is still the wrong tool for the job. I have a high quality BS. What blade would you suggest that works well, and provides a finished cut ready for glue up? I don't recall, but is he not sanding his band sawn pieces for glue up? Possible I reckon, but highly, highly unusual.

No, my mileage is the same, I know festering tools are quality tools, just over priced. If you're in a production shop, tool price is not a big issue, but even then, their are even better industrial grade tools that are better, more durable than Festering tools. I certainly don't need a $600 vacuum cleaner in my shop, but would use it occasionally if one were donated to me. Same with any of their tools. BTW, Scott Phillips uses festering tools too, and also uses the BS for the wrong things. He is a woodworking moron!

Reply to
Jack

Moron,

Reply to
Jack

I only give MY opinions based on MY 60 years experience in woodworking. Are you suggesting I give someone else's opinion?

Keep in mind I didn't say no tape on earth should ever have 1/32" markings only in the first foot, only that MY opinion is those markings are not needed (by me, nor has any one said they are) and that it is HARD to find a short tape w/o those damned things. Also, why aren't they there for over a foot, or at all on tapes over 25'?

Tape measures are used for many

True enough, but always used in woodwork, which btw, is the focus of this group. People needing finer than half way between 1/16", which is easy for any woodworker to measure accurately enough for wood work, use other means. For example, a machinist uses dial indicators, calibers and so on. Woodworkers mostly use tapes.

If a woodworker truly needs fine measurements less than halfway between

1/16" they should rely on machinist measuring tools, rather than using a magnifying glass to mark between 1/32" marks, and not bother ME with that nonsense.

Again, this is MY opinion, not someone else's.

Surely you recognize that, don't you.

Reply to
Jack

Well, the Laguna BSs built in Italy. With the Resaw King blade. But I agree, the TA probably more easily produces these type results.

I visited the Minimax distributor several years ago in Austin. The instructor was building a piece of furniture with nothing but a band saw. Yes a nice piece of furniture.

Reply to
Leon

When I first upgraded to HD with DirecTV from the DirecTV Tivo unit the service was terrible. They blamed the local airports. Oddly as time went by, about 18 months, the service/DVR's got better and none of the airports went away. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Do you mean Louder With Crowder? If so...

I'm not picking sides, but I don't think it's fair to judge any particular segment of society based on what you see on that show. I didn't know who he was or what his show was about, so I looked him up:

"Steven Blake Crowder is a Canadian-American conservative political commentator, actor, and comedian. He is the host of Louder with Crowder, a late-night style comedic television show covering news, pop culture, and politics."

My guess, if I take "conservative political commentator" and combine it with "actor/comedian", is that there just might be a sight slant to his choice of "guests" for his show. (Yes, I did watch a few minutes of a few shows.)

I know lots of recent college students, including 2 daughters with 3 Masters degrees between them, a son's girlfriend who just got her PhD, and many of their friends. Some of them are certainly more left leaning than right, but there's not a "slovenly looking asinine loser" in the group.

Crowder (and others) will show his viewers who he wants them to see on the hope that certain general opinions will be formed. I'll bet that if he interviewed some of the college students that I know, they wouldn't make the...I mean...*his* cut. They just don't fit the stereotype he is trying to build.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You're right. You're a moron. h

Reply to
krw

I reckon that's him.

Yes, I agree but, the two shows I watched were outside on a college campuses. He could choose who he interviewed, but could NOT choose the crowd of students milling about. He actually couldn't even choose who he interviewed, he asked anyone that would talk to him to do so. That is lots different than the interviews regular TV types that do the man on the street type stuff where you see 6 interviews and all of them are ridiculous. The answers they get that they don't like, or don't fit their agenda hit the cutting room floor. He could just be really good at it, but I don't think so, I think he just flies with whatever he gets.

That's a small group in relation to the millions and millions of college students. Anyway, I don't recall what was going on at the schools. He set up a table and tried to get anyone he could to talk to him. It could have been an anti-American rally for all I know.

That's true enough I reckon. I don't watch him, just parts of a couple shows. He is not my style, but that's what I got out of what I saw. Your comment on a woman asking if earth worms were snakes reminded me of the morons I've seen on campuses, and particularly college professors I've seen on TV. I've seen students and professors in the news protesting conservative speakers, and they look like the same losers.

When I went to college, politics was not an issue, and you got in based on academics, not race, sex, sexual habits or whatever they do today. Probably could get in if mommy donated a wing or two to the school.

Reply to
Jack

+1

Spalted Walt

You must have me confused with someone else. I don't recall making any comment related to women, earthworms or snakes.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Did he talk to millions and millions of college students or was his sample as small as mine?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I had my H.F. tape measure out with me trimming hedges yesterday, and thought of you folks and this thread. I wasn't using 32nds, striving for a delta of 1" on either side of the porch. It's not as easy as it sounds, the tape measure played a critical role in my ultimate success--but what I really needed was a "transit"! I guess in some sense I made one--if you are allowed to count measuring off of the base of a window frame. It's not easy to avoid "cosine error" while trying not laughing about it...

Reply to
Bill

I remember my Dad trimming the hedges with scissors. We had this kind of hedge in front of a NYC row house. Maybe 3 feet tall, 15 linear feet. This would have been too sloppy for my Dad, thus the need for scissors.

Full link:

DerbyDad03

ce I like things they make, but the reviews are not that good. What is the best 16-foot tape measure?

stay away from the overly gimmicky rubber molded ones. the Komelon SL2816 i s nice and cheap. the craftsman CMHT37316S is a standard. take a look at th e markings on the blade and you'll know right away what to stay away from. I personally like the U.S. Tape 54533, it's a 33' and perfect for me becaus e I use the metric part to layout booths for foreign customers at the conve ntion center. the komeleon 4930lm is also nice but 30'.

firesurfer