Who Is Willing To Make This Cut?

Blasphemy! No one said that SawStop wasn't a good idea, only that it was too expensive and it's creator an asshole. Only Elon Musk even approaches Gass in that department.

Biden? <sheesh>

Reply to
krw

Exactly! The same reason one doesn't use a miter gauge and a fence at the same time.

Reply to
krw

Better to use a sled for small parts.

Reply to
krw

The flack was for supporting someone who felt that government should mandate his product in all table saws.

Snide comment noted.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

That is exactly what made me queasy when I came across the image.

BTW...I'm was not especially surprised, considering the source: The Family Handyman.

I had a subscription to that magazine long before the web was what it is today. I was never very impressed with their ideas and methods. Every now and then a web search pops up a hit from the Family Handyman site, and as you can see from that image, their staff/contributors still don't have a clue.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Here you go, let me know when you want to watch it.... ;-)

DerbyDad03

Even if what you say about low powered saws and kick back is true...

The image I posted was from a set of instructions for making octagon frames. The entity that posted it (Family Handyman) has no idea how much power the saw owned by any given reader has.

I'm pretty sure that they didn't publish an unsafe method for making a cut based on the assumption that everyone who tries the technique is using a low powered saw. I'm pretty sure it was published due to low powered knowledge.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Now Now. :~) Some said it was vapor ware and would not come to market. Some said that it would be having many false triggers.

Reply to
Leon

Some times, some times, not often some times the government does something good. I did not like the tactic by the inventor so much as the government mandating this regardless.

;~)

Reply to
Leon

SawStop! AND Without the riving knife. Jeez!!!

He should have used the miter gauge on the other side of the blade along with a spacer clamped to the rip fence for repeated length cuts.

Reply to
Leon

I once watched Brad Stag, On the Ultimate Work Shop, IIRC, demonstrate how to cut a dado with a miter gauge and the guard in place. He had a puzzled look when the wood did not pass past the guard and he had to back the piece out of the cut. Idiot, and the censors did not correct that.

Reply to
Leon

You can use both at the same time when cutting rabbets and or if you have a spacer block clamped to the fence.

Reply to
Leon

It is never safe to trap a workpiece under the blade. This particular cut, if the front-edge of the workpiece lifts just slightly, the back side of the blade will lift and throw it. Angled cuts should always be made where the blade can't trap the workpiece.

The irony here is that it's a left-tilt saw, where you're supposed to place the workpiece on the fence side and the cutoff on the free side.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Leon <lcb11211@swbelldotnet> wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

That's not as bad as those who voted for Obama in 2016!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I was going to make a post along those lines. I had a 2-year subscription to Family Handyman 15 years ago and felt like I "outgrew it" before it expired. The articles seemed "shallow". No matter what you want to do, there has to be a better choice (of magazine)!

Reply to
Bill

Obama?

The pessimist says: "Things can't get any worse!" The optimist says: "Oh, yes they can!"

Reply to
krw

I've not seen one. Maybe it's just me but I don't learn much about woodworking from text (or audio). It's too much of a hands-on and visual hobby. YouTube could be much better if the Youtubers weren't so damned verbose. Fifteen minutes of yakking before the power even gets turned on.

Reply to
krw

Censors? His producers should have backed that footage out. If they were too stupid, his agent sure should have demanded it.

Reply to
krw

I recall when that magazine first cam out and even 10 years later you could still become a "Charter" Member.

Reply to
Leon

YouTube does have some good stuff but jeez, like you said, the yacking.

Ron Paulk has a great set up for a mobile shop and work bench. I bought the plans and built one. That bench has a foot print of about 24 sq ft when set up and about 4 sq feet when put away. And very sturdy. But jeez he explains simple things 14 different ways. He could literally shorten his videos by 75% and nothing would be left out. Then the beginners with their new saw. LOL They are experts, because they have a new saw.

Reply to
Leon