Is this still organic gardening?

If a person were to add chemical fertilizer to a pond to spur an algae bloom, then to harvest the algae for use as compost, would that still be considered "organic gardening"?

Reply to
David Bunch

No. Why not use a natural form of nitrogen? Synthetic nitrogen is putrid.

Reply to
animaux

Don't you kind of answer your own question here? Organic Gardening is, by definition, NOT using chemicals. (Using common vernacular here -- obviously everything in the garden and such has a chemical nature.) If one uses chemical fertilizers then that would pretty much immediately negate the organic aspects. Granted, it might work wonders and all but finding a natural means would be preferred of course.

Considering how easily algae takes hold of any body of water, I'd have to wonder why anyone would feel the need to resort to chemicals to encourage its growth. Hmmmm....

James

Reply to
JNJ

Depends on how you label "organic gardening." Personally, I define it as the ability to rotate polarized light. If you want more algae in the pond, allow more sunlight to it (cut overhanging branches or remove a tree). I have lots of extra algae (and azola, and anacharis) if you want to come get it. ;-)

Reply to
Phisherman

According to a few websites, even adding 10-10-10 to a compost pile is "organic gardening", since the fertilizer is not directly added to the plants. I'm looking more for a technical definition rather than a philosophical one.

As for algae, sunlight really isnt the limiting factor here. Its phosphorus. Dump phosphorus into any lake, and a huge algae bloom will take place. Thats why its not allowed to be used in detergent anymore.

Reply to
David Bunch

Yours is a stupid question to begin with and you probably already know that.

Even though everyone has said don't do it, you probably will do whatever the heck you want no matter what anybody says so why do you even bother asking?

The technical definition for you is TROLL!!!!

Now go and sod off.

There obviously is no limiting factor to your stupidity!!!

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

Sir, you are quite insane. And this is a legitimate question. Do you somehow think algae will become toxic if it suddenly recieves some of the nutrients it needs to grow? I am only looking for a technical definition from which to set my boundries.

Reply to
David Bunch

The organic gardeners may say no, but if you use something like Chilean salt peter, which is a natural product, dug out of the ground, it is OK ;) Frank

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Or straight urea, which is 100% organic.

Reply to
Judith Steinberg

"Organic" means many things to many people. For instance to a chemist "organic" means the matter is attached to a carbon molecule.

If you were to follow the true definition of an "organic garden" you would only use fertilizers of natural source (ie bloodmeal, bonemeal, manures etc). If you were to use synthetic fertilizers (such as

10-10-10 or 20-20-20) you would not be "organic" gardening.

Dave

Reply to
Redneck_Dave

The USDA has regulations on what can and cannot be called organic. However, the regulations apply only to farms which have gross sales over $5000. Since this excludes most gardeners, the word organic means whatever you want it to, no more and no less.

As far as the USDA regulations are concerned, your compost with prohibited materials added would not be considered organic. As I recall, in order to be (sold as) organic compost, it has to reach a temperature of 140 F for some specified period of time (which I've forgotten) and has to be turned 5 times in 15 days.

What will the algae bloom do to the pond inhabitants? Sounds inconsistent with the idea of organic gardening, which considers more than just the garden.

Reply to
Dwight Sipler

Point out the website. I gave you a technical answer. You didn't like it. So you come back with your own answer and you already know what you are going to use, so why ask?

Whatever you say.

Reply to
animaux

You got that answer. Do whatever you want.

Reply to
animaux

Hi Dwight

I believe you are referring to "certified organic".

I agree using algae bloom seems to be contrary to the idea of "organic gardening"

Dave

Reply to
Redneck_Dave

It all depends on who defines the word "organic". See my .

Reply to
David Ross

Most urea is synthetic. To assure you get organic urea, you should put horseshit in the pond ;) Frank BTW I'm an organic chemist. That does not mean I learned chemistry without pesticides.

Reply to
Frank Logullo

Does it really matter? By the time everything's been composted, you are talking molecules.

Why pick nits?

Reply to
WiGard

does the horse have to have only fed on grain/hay grown organically? ;)

Reply to
Philip Lewis

David Bunch is most definitely a lunatic troll wasting everyone's time.

His question has been answered many times over but nothing sinks into that thick skull of his.

He has gone way beyond beating the subject to death. The subject has been beaten way beyond puree by now.

It doesn't matter what you say, whether you agree or disagree with his loony notions, the idiot just wants to bitch and argue over nothing.

Screw the troll.

Let him piss in his own pool.

What he really needs is a girlfriend (or maybe in his case, a boyfriend?)

When it comes down to it, I doubt if even a dog would stick around for long listening to that whining jerk baby with his dirty diaper all in a bunch.

Reply to
Cereoid-UR12-

If that is your intent, why not add an organic (rather than chemical) fertilizer to spur the bloom?

Seems to me you'd have to have a pretty large pond with a pretty significant bloom to generate much in the way of compostables..........

Reply to
Pam - gardengal