Polyhalite for organic gardening

48% SO3 as sulfate 14% K2O as from sulfate of potash 6% MgO as from magnesium sulfate 17% CaO as from calcium sulfate

Any comments?

if you are in a highly alkaline location you likely do not need any more salts or calcium. instead look to growing organic materials that will eventually end up being turned into humus. if you can salvage any clean organic materials and get them used as mulch or compost them you will instead be building topsoil and building on top of that alkaline base. protect it from the wind and getting blown or washed away.

elemental sulfur may likely be much more economical as an acidifier.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Thank you!

Only that it's over my head but don't mind me.

Today I made my next to last trip for starter plants. The rest is probably pretty flowers.

I got a few cucumbers and zucchini, a few green bell peppers, 14 marigolds (to augment the seedlings), a banana pepper, some crookneck squash, an anaheim (in case the seedlings don't work, and 1 more different type of tomato (burpee original).

Later, potatoes (going to try Yukon gold), lettuces, spearmint, pole beans and maybe a pumpkin or so.

Intesting find, fresh shishido peppers at the grocery! I'm going to try seeding them then sprouting the seeds.

Songbird, how's it going there? Prepped beds yet?

Reply to
cshenk

cshenk wrote: ...

i'm not doing too much outside at the moment as it has been raining and/or snowing regularly enough since we had our previous nice break in the weather that i'm not willing to play in the cold mud.

about all i've done is plant a groundhog (and have seen another but i don't know if i got it or not).

the gardens are in pretty good shape from last fall so any prep work will go pretty easy this spring - but it will be a few weeks away at the earliest that i will think about planting some peas and some early beans. peas will survive some cold but the beans may not but that is ok as i have several gallons of seeds to work with if i do need to replant. i've had pretty good luck with my early bean plantings the past three years so we'll see if i can make it a fourth.

at the moment i'm sick from a bug i picked up last weekend so we'll see how this goes too...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Ah ok, we had a cold snap last night and one tonight. Looks like the

7th grew one at 38F. Looks like the greenhouse is going to get used. Some are needing repotting.

Good luck with the flu! Just had a bout of bronchitis here but over it now.

Reply to
cshenk

Hi Songbird,

This works for me when I get a virus:

Here is the write up on it from its creator:
And don't forget the universal cure all: chicken soup

-T

T wrote: ...

thanks, i'm not fully over it yet, but i'm doing better each day.

hot chocolate and well buttered homemade toast is something i've always liked.

basically the best things for me right now are to keep hydrated any way i can, to get as much sleep as possible and to rotate which direction i'm laying so my lungs will be able to break up and bring up the crud that's left over from fighting this off.

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Enopy the downtime. You have a good excuse! Feel better my (e)friend.