How to remove sticky label from chrome lights?

Major problem that some of you must have found an answer to over the years.

We have just bought three new light fittings which all have 12 stems for 12 bulbs. Every stem has 2 labels on them stating bulb size and warning it will get hot.

All very useful information I am sure - but how the hell do you get these things off. They peel off no problem but leave behind the glue. The fitting is chrome plated.

So far we have tried Nail varnish remover, flash and sugar soap all with limited success.

Any ideas please???

Sean

Reply to
Sean Delere

Brasso, the swab type rather than liquid. If they're ceiling lights why worry,you won't see it.

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

WD 40works well altho' you can get stuff that is made especially for removing the label residue

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Chewing Gum remover, citrus oil solvent.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

White spirit or paraffin.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

You can buy a liquid called - wait for it - "Sticky Stuff Remover" which usually does a good job on label residue. You can get it at places like Lakeland.

Roger Mills

Meths

Reply to
Nemesis

Nail polish remover (acetone?)

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

You need specsavers mate. ;-)

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

You will have to expand on that as I cannot see.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Bollocks. I missed the smiley.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Surprised nail varnish remover didn't work..cellulose thinners or white spirit usually works.

Petrol works to IIRC.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

!!!!!

Reply to
Bob Eager

There are two types - one is isopropyl alcohol and the other is acetone.

Marcus

Reply to
Marcus Fox

I bet HF would remove it. Lighter fluid is more practical.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Dab off with sticky tape

Reply to
Mike Harrison

stems for 12

warning it will

Lighter fluid - (the sort used in old fashioned cigarette lighters that you top up with liquid and sold in a little yellow can with a spout that seals) is absolutely brilliant for removing sticky labels

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

I've used insect/fly spray in the past. Jaymack

Reply to
John McLean

try white spirit

Reply to
Dan Evans

The advantage of using insect/fky killer is that most households have a can. Spray it on the glue and lleave for a few minutes, then wipe off. Try it! Jaymack

Reply to
John McLean