Ceiling Fitting Shower Switch

I bought a shower switch recently

the instructions say to fit it to a "joist" or similar .I was thinking I could get a drywall box to fit it to the bathroom ceiling but It seems not . On the false ceiling there isn't a support in a suitable place but I can just about get access to above the ceiling in the place where I would like to fit the switch . If I was to place a piece of timber on top of the ceiling and fix screws through the ceiling to hold the timber in place then fit the switch to it do you think that would do .I didnt use 12.5mm plasterboard for the ceiling ,I used the thinner stuff .I was wondering if it might flex too much when the switch was operated .?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Why not fit it to the *real* ceiling, and just have a small hole in the false ceiling for the cord to pass through?

Reply to
Roger Mills

Yes. 9.5mm would be hopeless for a shower switch.

Stick some wood above. 50mmx75mm (aka 2x3) is pretty normal for this. The wood should be nailed or screwed to the joists.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

'cause the real ceiling is a good two feet above the false one ..lol

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

So what - cord's cheap enough!

Reply to
Roger Mills

Well it would be a gpwm if it wasn't for the fact that I cannot get access easily to the "old" ceiling and will not be able to at all when the false ceiling is fully completed . Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

so glue some 6mm ply to the top of the plasterboard and screw into that from below and fix the switch in the usual manner.

Reply to
.

Yeah..That's sort of what I was thinking of thx Stuart

Reply to
Stuart