Fitting coving onto painted plasterboard

hi

I want to fit coving but the plasterboarded walls and ceiling are painted in matt emulsion paint.

I'm concerned if I use plaster coving, it may just be too heavy.

Anyone have any advice?

bill

Reply to
Bill

IMHO, you shouldn't have a problem ... btw plaster-coving buttered with the appropriate goo is very heavy. A step in fitting coving to a wall/ceiling joint is to scribe a line around the wall and ceiling ... scratch criss-cross lines within these spaces to give the goo something to bite into ... it probably doesn't make any difference ... but I felt 'good' about doing it. You will remember to drive a series of nails into the wall - at the scribed line - to support the coving while the goo goes off, won't you? [I would recommend purchasing a 'Magic Mitre' jig - as shown on QVC- for this job] My kitchen required eleven mitre joints and a couple of scarf joints ... the jig earned its keep!

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

thanks Brian for the advice.

My concern is whether the weight of the plaster coving might cause the emulsion based paint to which it is glued to, to simply peel away from the plasterboard due to the weight of the coving.

I'm wondering if the lighter paper wrapped polystyrene coving is any good.

I couldn't find the Magic Mitre on QVC.com but I did find a UK website selling it. =A340 seems a lot to pay for it.

bill

Reply to
Bill

This is why he said draw a line around the wall and ceiling using a piece of the coving and then scratch/gouge lines in the ceiling/wall so that the adhesive will grip.

Polystyrene are sh*te coving what you pay for that stuff is ludicrus.

A normal mitre saw will suffice justthink about what your doing before cutting.

?cId=102080&ts=34535&id=19927>> bill

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

It is not *that* heavy - it is also supporte4d along the full length which spreads the load. I have fitted coving to painted surfaces in the past without any problems.

(I have also seen it fixed straight onto a wallpapered surface - it stayed put there as well).

I find the tubes of ready mixed adhesive easier to use than the mix it yourself stuff. A bit more expensive if you have loads to do, but quicker and simpler to apply and it has more instant "grab".

Reply to
John Rumm

I've used both plaster and PVA glue to hold the coving in place. I then use 25-30mm. panel pins spaced at one foot intervals about 10mm. from the bottom of the coving. When it has all set just use a pin punch to put the nail head just below the surface of the coving. The a finger tip of plaster to cover that hole.

Chris.

Reply to
mcbrien410

I find 40mm wire ovals work fine if just tapped in far enough to bite. Once set you can simply give em a wiggle and they pop out.

Reply to
John Rumm

Thank you all for your advice.

bill

Reply to
Bill

Recently discovered that Dry-Wall adhesive is also excellent for fitting coving. My local Builders merchant charge 4.41 for 25Kg DryWall adhesive and 3.05 for 5Kg Coving adhesive. I also discovered that it gripped sufficiently well that I didn't need to support the coving with pins while the adhesive set.

Reply to
Kevin