vinyl around a toilet

What kind of tips do folks recommend when cutting vinyl around a toilet?

Reply to
Nospam

Ask the user to lift their feet up.

Reply to
SimonJ

But not if they are already standing :o)

Personally I would probably remove the floor pan, lay the vinyl and refit, but that's because I am cr*p at being neat.

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Fit a piece of wall paper round, to get the shape, and then copy it onto the vinyl. If you screw up the wallpaper, just get a new bit, which is somewhat expensive with the vinyl.

The problem you will have is when somebody misses the bog, and the pee runs down the outside and below the vinal, and after a bit it stinks. My cure fot this is to put ceramic tiles UNDER the bog, and then silicone seal the thing down.

Rick

Reply to
Rick

I usually whip the toilet out or i may slide it under.

Be a good Global citizen-CONSUME>CONFORM>OBEY

Circumcision- A crime and an abuse.

tarquinlinbin

What kind of flooring is in there atm? If there is carpet or something already in there then you can us it as a template.

Reply to
Richard Conway

Watching professional fitters do it in my bathroom - they made an initial cut so that the vinyl could be slid either side of the bowl and back as far as the wall. They then made loads of other cuts down to the base of the toilet leaving 'strips' approx half/inch wide sticking up in the air. Once they had done that they then sliced around the base, cutting off the strips. I copied this technique a few weeks ago when I put vinyl flooring in the downstairs loo - it worked a treat. I sealed around the base of the loo with silicon and it looks very neat.

Kev

Reply to
Uno Hoo!

... And, consider removing the toilet bowl during the floorlaying. It's not that hard a job; doesn't take to long; and depending on whether you've a P or S trap you'll be left with a clear floor or one with a a circular hole in the floor. It's a lot easier to lay any floorcovering without the bowl in-situ.

Insist ... I say again _insist_ ... that everybody uses the facility before you start removing the bowl.

Reply to
Brian Sharrock

That's what I did (and sealed it under the skirting board) after an incident with a small child resulting in me getting wet when working in the kitchen extension below (prior to the plasterboard ceiling being fitted).

Reply to
<me9

But make sure you flush it after they have!

Reply to
Richard Conway

Hope it was just water :)

Reply to
Richard Conway

Don't! Put it underneath.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

Aquire a metal coat hanger straighten it out and bend the wire around the toilet base forming it as you go then let it open up to take it away from the base put it over the Vinyl where you have made measurements(takes practice), draw the formed coat hanger together and mark the inner profile of the coathanger.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Using a bit of lining paper to make a template seems a lot less hassle and more reliable to me.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Explain please?

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Nope. A change of clothing and a shower were required.

Reply to
<me9

Ah, bless... (Ever seen this?: )

Dave

Reply to
Dave P

It would be easy to show you, I'm not sure I can bothered to explain. It's quite like Uno Hoo said earlier in the thread, but you use heavy paper to make a template and use that to mark out the vinyl.

Reply to
Rob Morley

That reminds me about our son. The after birth (no, not the red and messy bit) nurse came round to see how he was getting on. My wife had not been out of hospital more than a few days. She was asked to remove his nappy so that she could have a good look at him.

When the poor child was stripped of all his clothes, she mentioned the fact that he would make some woman happy when he grew up. At the same time, he decided to relieve himself. Up, up and away, right into his mouth :-(((

Dave

Reply to
Dave

He might turn out to be a poof.