Plaster Coving

Hi,

Most of my victorian terrace has had plaster coving fitted. In the bedrrom that i have built a partition wall to split it into 2, I now have coving on 3 walls. I have had a quote to get the new wall done and joined back in to the 2 adjoining walls, however, the labour costs are quite pricey (understandably as it obviuosly is a skill).

However, the same company will supply me with the plaster coving (its fairly large stuff, comes in 2 metre lengths and has a depth and width of 12cm. They mould it themselves with hesian backing etc.

I am just wondering if anyone in here has had any experience of fitting this stuff themselves? Ive done the odd ceiling rose, but not large, heavy coving.

My main concern is joining the new bit to the old bit, and getting the old bit to have a straight edge to butt up to..

any ideas from anyone who has done this would be very useful!

Cheers

Tom

Reply to
Thomarse

Not done it - but I suspect this would do an excellent job of cutting the existing plaster coving in place:

dom

When you built the "new" wall how did you deal with the existing coving ...did you cut it square and fit the new wall in ?

To join corners you need to do a mitre joint so the existing coving will need to be cut appropriately and the new piece as well so they fit together properly altho you could try doing what is sometimes done with skirting in an internal corner altho I'm not sure if that will work as skirting is flat to the wall and coving is at an angle to wall and ceiling . .

Are you also needing to do the same on the other side of the new wall in what is the other half of the old room ?

Might be better biting the bullet and getting the company you mentioned to do it as well as supplying the coving .

Reply to
Stuart B

This will be a two person job or saw them in half if you will be alone.

Hold the coving in position and drill holes at intervals through into the wall so there is a mark on the wall for each screw. (Circular action only, no hammer and use a HSS bit, not a masonary one)

Drill the wall and plug each hole. Countersink the holes in the coving so that long wood screws vanish a few mm under the surface.

make up a wet plaster mix and brush it onto the back of the coving, put into position and screw (Very gently) to the wall.

Don't worry too much about trying to get a perfect butt joint as you will have to fill with plaster to hide it anyway. Just square the ends up as much as possible.

The only problem you may have is getting the old and new in line with each other. Do the best you can and sandpaper to match them up

HTH

Reply to
EricP

Hi,

The I cut the existing coving as a straight edge, but this is some

30cm or so away from the new wall, so I will have a bit of a straight run before I cut a mitre in the new coving. The main problem I think I will have is cutting the existing plaster coving that is already up there to create a quare edge, the cut I did previously made it cumble a bit, as it is hesian backed it is a little tricky. I guess I just need to take more time and do it slowly...

The difference in cost out of interest is =A3266 for the cokpany to do it all for me or =A3112 for them just to supply the coving.... so it is a significant saving... for me anyway, but I may still bite the bulett!

Thanks

Reply to
Thomarse