Bathroom Privacy Lock Question .

I am going to fit a new handle and lock to my bathroom door. I have been looking at this one .

had thought that these needed a lock as well like this

when visiting a friend recently in a new build I looked at her bathroom door lock and it seemed that it was using a handle similar to the first one above with just a latch like
these privacy handles lock the handle mechanism when you turn the lock .Is that correct so all I need are the first and third ones listed above ?

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

I've just done exactly that. The handle has a mechanism in so that the turning thing jams the handle and stops the door opening.

auctions

Interesting. I was going to buy new a lock (99818 as above) to go with this:

know if the same applies?

Mark

Reply to
MarkK

My experience of these from the sheds is that they are crap and usually unlock by just turning the handle.

Reply to
Fred

just be careful that the 2 year old does not lock themselves in - talking them into unlocking it while they panic and scream is not easy!

Lynet

Reply to
Lynet Smith

The message from "Fred" contains these words:

I got our locks from Wilkinsons - there's a mechanism similar to 99818 , and about the same price.

The faceplate/handle/lockturn looks very similar to the 46134 and there's two square rods supplied, one for the latch, one for the lock.

Whichever you settle for, they're well worth having. From time to time accidents do happen in bathrooms and being able to open the door without fuss is great, particularly if it's a small that's locked itself in and is now in a panic.

Reply to
Guy King

Absolutely. :)

Reply to
Tony Williams

They have a facilty on the outside of the door for others to unlock it ...normally by use of a coin or similar .

Reply to
Stuart

I would only consider a system that can be unlocked from the outside in an emergency. As posted getting little ones to unlock a door when they have locked themselves in is near impossible. This happened to me on the day we were moving house. I had to go and borrow a ladder, break the window and squeeze myself in to let my daughter out. I now install the type that lock separately with a slot on the outside so that a coin or screwdriver can be used to unlock it.

Reply to
Broadback

What's wrong with just fitting a normal sliding bolt?

it about 5ft up to avoid toddlers getting locked in

Reply to
Phil L

The message from "Phil L" contains these words:

Have you had kids? 5' won't deter a determined toddler!

Reply to
Guy King

The lock looks better,There are NO toddlers and anyway what's 5 ft to a toddler when the bath is right next to the door .

Stuart .

Reply to
Stuart

Yes it does.

auctions

Well excuse me for not wearing my psychic hat!

Anyway, what's the deal with all these bathroom locks, surely we only need a 'semblance' of a lock, I don't think anyone is going to try to kick the door in while a dump is being taken, they try the door, it doesn't open immediately, I think they can work the rest out for themselves....or they /should/ be able to.

Reply to
Phil L

What's a semblance of a lock ?? Either the door is locked or it isn't .

As for the facilty to open it from the outside .Well we have already mentioned kds but there's also the case of someone collapsing in the loo and others being able to get the door open from outside .

Reply to
Stuart

Thanks - I'll have to look for something else. The children would just pull down on the handle harder if they find it doesn't move. It'd break one day.

Mark

Reply to
MarkK

Maybe you should teach them how to operate it then .Would that not be a better idea .

Reply to
Stuart

Hey, great concept! I guess it works like this: 1) You tell the children something 2) They follow your instructions for the rest of their lives! Superb, I hadn't thought of that. I'll make a note of it and try it out ;-)

Mark

Reply to
MarkK

Ha. (1) is right but not (2).

Why do you need to make a note .Can't you remember that .:-)

Reply to
Stuart