Cheap bathroom suite ideas please

My landlady has everso generously offered to spend =A3300 on a new bathroom for the house I rent. The deal is that my contribution will be either to pay to have it installed, decorating, tiling etc or do it myself. Other than installation I can do the rest myself for very little. I particularly want a professional to do the plumbing even though its a straight replacement as I'm not convinced the original plumbing is right and want it double checked. So where might I find a suite from, and what would be the cheapest way to go about this - I was wondering about ebay or something similar - are there other good sources? I've checked the obvious sheds. As the bathroom is small it needs a 'compact' type bath which is more expensive. Just straightforward, plain, white would be fine.

Any ideas very gratefully received. Thanks very much. =20

Liz

Reply to
Liz

Sorry to break it to you - you'll not get a new suite for 300 - more like

700 upwards for something cheap from B&Q.

If everythings going bang in the same place, you might get a plumber/fitter to put it in for 300 give or take.

However, an idea comes to mind... Find a local bathroom fitter with a good reputation and perhaps ask him if he'd be interested in refitting a second hand suite that he's just ripped out of someone else's house? Saves him disposal costs and some people replace entire perfectly good suites just because they don't like the colour. Bit mad - but an idea nonetheless...

ebay will be worth a look if anything local shows up, otherwise transport costs will be impractical.

Even with a second hand suite, the budget is tight to say the least - but necessity is the mother of invention so it may be do-able.

Cheers,

Tim

Tiling and painting are things you can do yourself - tiling is straightforward, just read a book and cheap tiles can be had.

Reply to
Tim S

£279 plus delivery
plus delivery

End panels extra .Front Panel supplied

Stuart .

Reply to
Stuart

£700 for a cheap suite from B+Q.You are joking surely .??

Check here also

Stuart

separates for not much money, always worth a look at a local version of same,

Andy.

Reply to
Andy

No, just picked a few random ones and that seemed to be the lower figure... Never seen anything much cheaper on display anywhere, but then I do live in the SE!

Still leaves the fitting though so I think good second hand and use some of the 300 towards a plumber is the way to go - whatever change is left, use it on paint and tiles.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim S

Any ideas very gratefully received. Thanks very much.

Liz

Shop around. Companies near me sell the lot for £200. Better quality than the crap B&Q have. The landlady shouldn't be expecting you to pay anything - she is responsible under the tenancy agreement for the full costs. You need to remind her as she is trying to screw you for more money! You are mad for not telling her.

Reply to
Norm

it depends on the reason. If it needs replacing, get her to do it all and redecorate, at her expense. If otoh you just fancy a different style, lucky she's willing to put some money up.

I'd concentrate on what gives best result per spend. One handy thing is a window lock that enables the windwo to be key locked 1/4" open. This means ventilation all summer long, with no worries about security or insurance issues.

Tiled floors are nice, and can be had almost free if youre wiling to take related oddments and do a nice geometric pattern with them. By related I mean same surface finish, generally compatible looking.

Getting a pro in wont make much difference re the plumbing. Chances are theyll just bodge it up however will work.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

My first thought is your landlord is taking the p**s. A new bathroom makes the property much more desirable, so unless you've got some guarantee about future rent increases etc...

In what way isn't it right? If it's just a leak or whatever, replacing the suite might sort it. But if it's poor flow of some sort changing pipework to sort that can be very expensive.

Get a copy of Yellow Pages and check out all the local plumbers merchants. But look out for extras. The deal you get from the likes of B&Q might be hard to beat in this case.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Even in the SE, there's cheap stuff (not all of it tat) to be had. I'm in SE London and although we do have the posh bathroom shops, we also have places such as

where the cheapest suite is something like =A3219. (Cheapest on the site seems to be =A3249.)

John

Reply to
john.sabine

Liz. The cheapest way to get a suite is one of the 'offers' from the sheds - like B & Q.

This will be fairly dire, but with a little effort and expense, can be made a bit better.

The bath will be terribly thing and flexible, but bits of wood glued onto the back it with car body filler stiffen these crap baths up amazingly.

The taps will be pretty vile style wise, but can be replaced, or you may find a package deal with no taps.

Spend the money on TILES of QUALITY. The overall result will look much better.

Plumbing is not that hard.

learn to tile yourself.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher