removing grout by power tool

I need to remove a lot of grout between tiles and regrout with waterproof grout. Does anyone know of a cheap rotary tool that can do this. Those Fien Multimaster tools look like they can do the job with a frighteningly high price. There must be a chep DIY effort around that can do a similar job. Those rotozip type of tools look like they could wander and cut into the tile, so I am ruling those out.

TIA.

Reply to
timegoesby

I doubt anything would do it. A bradawl will break and clear out grout out in under 10 seconds per side of tile. Just run it back and forth acrosst he grout, pressing down enough to break the surface up as it goes. Very fast. Just dont make the common mistake of using it like a toothpick, thats silly slow.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

I have one of these (the manufacturer is Fein, BTW) and the price isn't frighteningly high at all. It's probably my most used power tool because of its versatility and worth every penny. They now have a starter version, without many accessories for just over £80.

I've used it for grout removal with the segment saw blade

's well controllable in terms of speed and because of being a fine oscillation tool there is no problem with wandering.

In comparison with making a bollocks of the job with some cheap and unsuitable tool and having to replace the tiles, it is very inexpensive and frankly would pay for itself on one job. Then you would have a tool that would get a lot of use.

I don't think so, and I've looked. Fein hold a set of patents on several aspects of the Multimaster.

That's exactly the issue. Dremel do a grout removing kit for their little tools. I've used one and it is both slow and does not do as neat a job as the Multimaster.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Why? All grout is relatively waterproof, especially on vertical surfaces. What are the symptoms? A bitch of a job, even with a grout rake.

Does anyone know of a cheap rotary tool that can do

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Brick acid and a scrubbing brush. Use rubber gloves.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If you're talking about wall tiles with 2mm or so spacing, I agree - an awl or a bradawl will both do the job quite effectively. One proviso - some combinations of steel and glaze will allow the tool to leave pencil-like lines on the glaze, which are IME almost impossible to remove. Depending on the profile of the tool and the tile edge profile, these marks may be visible after re-grouting. It hardly needs saying that it's a good idea to test in the least conspicuous area first.

However, since you're considering using a power tool, I guess you're talking about floor tiles with a somewhat larger spacing...

Reply to
OxSc

Alternatively, use thinners and a roughish cloth (preferably white) - I use workshop towels. I have found this works well. Ensure good ventilation of course.

CRB

Reply to
crb

These things are incredibly effective & very cheap

Toolstation part number 36471

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Tried Bar Keepers Friend? Removes the "pencil" marks left by stainless steel cooking tools on white glazed cookware.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Dave,

I have never heard of it. Where do you get it?

Reply to
timegoesby

Dave,

Thanks, would the likes of B&Q sell this?

Reply to
timegoesby

Water is leaking through the tiles, the grout, to the ceiling below. The tiles are top quality and look well and it is a shame to get rid of. The only other quick option is to tile over the tiles, which is an expensive thing to do.

Reply to
timegoesby

Hi,

IME a wallpaper steamer with nozzle will soften grout, also might be worth grinding down a cheap screwdriver for scraping the grout out.

AIUI the tile cement should form a waterproof barrier, if this is a tiled floor then renewing the grout may not be enough.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

So this is a bath/shower? Tiling usually only lets water at the bottom of a run where the tiles meet the bath edge or shower tray i.e. where the water hits its first horizontal obstruction and has time to sit and soak. Don't rush into anything.

Reply to
Stuart Noble

Asda stock it or at least thats where I bought the last lot, Tesco don't. Truncated plastic conical packaging

site shows US packaging and prices.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

A shower. There is definately a crack around a few tiles that water is getting through. I know that hairline cracks can let water through. The tray to tile join has a silicon seal and that looks in good condition and not allowing water through. I want to do "all" of the tiles and remove and reseal the silicon to be sure.

Reply to
timegoesby

Thanks for that. I never thought of a steamer. How long does it take to get soft?

Reply to
timegoesby

Not that long, I've steam cleaned grout and it came off onto the scourer rather easily.

While the grout is out you could try getting some exterior PVA in between the tiles to help seal any cracks in the tile cement.

cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete C

Thanks. How long does the PVA need to dry? Goes the grout stick to the PVA well? Do Wickes, etc, sell exterior grade PVA.

Reply to
timegoesby

Exterior PVA (EVA) is only waterproof when mixed in cement/mortar. I don't think it will do much good painted on like that.

Use a waterproofing additive in the grout, such as BAL Admix GT1 (which probably contains EVA and plasticiser).

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel