Tap Connections - Name of fitting?

Hi all

I have just taken delivery of a Hansgrohe monobloc basin mixer. This has braided flexibles pre-attached - the top end being recessed well up into the tap body (can't even see where it connects). The bottom end, which previously I've seen with a compression end to convert to copper, has a female nut end with sealing washer. A little bit like the female half of a tap connector IYSWIM.

Does anyone know what specific fitting this is supposed to connect to that will convert to 15mm copper?

TIA

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

On Fri, 22 Jun 2007 13:33:46 +0100, "TheScullster" mused:

Just screw it onto the end of an isolating valve\compression coupler or similar.

Reply to
Lurch

Sounds like the continental standard 3/8" BSP connector. You can use a

15 mm to 12 mm compression adapter without the nut and olive on the 12 mm end. Check if the exposed end has a sharp edge and file or grind it off if it has or it will cut through the rubber washer when you tighten it up.

HTH,

Roger.

Reply to
Roger Wareham

If you look on their web site, Phil, they have detailed drawings of most of the taps and it should say there. Otherwise a call to their technical support works. I did that for a specific query and they were very good.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I assume that the threads will be either 1/2" or 3/4" BSP [1] - so you'll need a fitting called '1/2" male iron [2] to 15mm compression' (or 3/4" as the case may be). Something like this

should do the trick.

[1] Note that BSP fittings are a fair bit larger than the nominal size - so a 3/4" thread is actually just over 1" (from memory) in diameter [2] Not sure why they're called 'iron' - they're actually made of brass, or similar
Reply to
Roger Mills

"Andy Hall" wrote

The web site is not the easiest to navigate, but finally found the data sheets. Very comprehensive information available, right down to CAD drawings. Connection size is 3/8" as Roger suggested - not sure whether it is likely to be BSP on a European fitting. Will have to hit the PMs to see what fittings suite.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

Yes, you do have to be persistent but it is all there.

Reply to
Andy Hall

The message from "TheScullster" contains these words:

Surely if theey give the thread ssize as 3/8" then it has to be BSP. BSP is recognised by ISO.

Reply to
Roger

"Roger" wrote

Not necessarily, NPT is also common outside the US and UK.

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster

The message from "TheScullster" contains these words:

But is it in use in Europe? I was under the impression that BSP was in common use throughout Europe as the European standard.

NPT didn't even cross my mind as I have never come across it before. It is however possible to distinguish between the 2 with relatively primitive measuring devices, at least for 3/8ths (I haven't checked other dimensions). 19 tpi rather than 18 tpi and about half a mm difference in outside diameter.

Reply to
Roger

this

should do the trick.

I thought it was because they were for connecting to iron pipe (originally).

Reply to
Martin Bonner

"Roger" wrote

My experience of threads is based on process plant rather than plumbing items and taps. This probably puts a different slant on things. Equipment suppliers we deal with regularly use NPT (possibly because they have an American influence or American customer base).

Phil

Reply to
TheScullster