How to set floodlight Mode Normal/Soft/Flash

I just put in a motion sensor floodlight to replace the one I put in about 20 years ago, which had gotten to the point where it was on when there was motion, and off the moment the motion stopped**.

This one was just like the previous one, except two more controls had been added Dual Brite 3/6/All night, and Mode Normal/Soft/Flash.

I don't think there has been a night-time burglary here in 30 years, but otoh, nobody tells me anything and when I look at SpotCrime, there aren't enough details***. but my 90% goal is to prevent someone from going around back and stealilng my lawnmower or breaking in. (10% might be to not waste electricity or bulbs.)

WRT Mode Normal/Soft/Flash, which mode would you use to deter prowlers? Flash or soft or normal. Soft goes on slow and oft gradually to half-bright, pauses, then continues to off. I assume the purpose is to delay the bulb's burnilng out. But in my case, that has two opposite ramifications. It's easy for me to change the bulbs because I put the fixture a foot below my bedroom window, so I just lean out. OTOH I doubt I'll know if the bulb does burn out because I don't go in the back yard often at night. OT3H, I may not know soon after they burn out, but I know eventually and it takes 3 to 7 years.

Flash Flashes on and off twice before going to full brightness. Is that supposed to scare the burglar away? Maybe like his picture was taken. I suppose that will burn the bulb out faster. AND every light I have had gets turned on frequently by the wind.

WRT Dual Brite Off/3/6/All night, I'm just going to leave it on Off. In the front, one neighbor wanted everyone to leave their porch light on several hours or all night, even though we have street lights, but for my replacement (2nd) front fixture, style won out over that feature.

**Hmm. Maybe that just means something wrong with the test/1/5/10 minute switch, but really no time to work on that now. Later I'll take it apart and see if that's possible and if the meter shows it's true happened. ***For example, recently it added more information but a) there's rarely any crime near to me and b) they give a time, but I'll bet it's when the crime is reported, or when the cop comes over and takes a report, not when it actually happened, even I'll bet for a crime where the person reporting it was present. So there are some burglaries over the years, but I don't read the emails much, and I can't really know that any take place when it's dark out.

This isn't the best question but at least it's not hate, politics, or trolling.

Reply to
micky

micky posted for all of us...

Most burglaries are done during the day, when no one is home. Home invasions are done during the night where lights aren't going to help. I wouldn't/don't use a motion sensor. I use a dusk to dawn led light that cost about 80 bux. Are you going to monitor the light for activity?

A prowler call is a high priority. Depends on their response time. Call the PD and ask if they do free surveys of your home. You will get good tips and ideas and meet someone whom is risking their life for you. Have a cup of coffee and a good experience.

Reply to
Tekkie®

Not while I'm away. Actually I bought a light several years ago that would beep inside when it was on. A separate receiver plugged into an outlet. The trouble was when it was windy, the wind was always turning it on, And it was 25 feet high and hard to adjust. I bougth it at a surplus type store and it was cheap, and I've never seen another one like it. It burned out anyhow. ;-(

I'm not worried when I'm in town for the reasons you mentioned, but I'll be away for a while.

Thanks for all the suggestsion.

Reply to
micky

micky posted for all of us...

What's your address? I send a few parolees over to make a survey

Reply to
Tekkie®