Can't close patio umbrella?

I saw that one of my neighbors has the umbrella from his patio table, which came with the house, lying in a corner of his yard, only half-closed, and still very big.

Is there any reason he can't close the umbrella? I want to offer to help, without either insulting him or failing.

Does the 2" diameter ring that the ribs attach to at the bottom come completely off the center shaft? He has the shaft disassembled in the middle, with the top and bottom halfs close to each other, overlapping mostly. The top half of the shaft/tube is, I think, permanently attached to the umbrella part, the top of the ribs, but it seems like it would be a little easy to handle if the bottom part of the shaft was spearate. .

The ring is about 6" above the bottom end of the bottom half.

Reply to
micky

It probably has a rope in the tube and a crank handle. If that gets buggered up you are stuck.

Reply to
gfretwell

Aha. I get it. If he hasn't fixed it when spring comes, I'll help him with it.

Reply to
micky

my umbrella starts to wind closed and half way down it starts going back up instead of going all the way down. What's the problem????

Reply to
Jjim

Anti-gravity

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

Something is jamming the rope on its reel inside/behind the handle. Causes the rope to flip from unreeling out to reeling in.

Need to open up the reel housing and see what's jamming.

Reply to
Grampy

On Wed, 23 Jun 2021 16:06:03 +0000, Grampy posted for all of us to digest...

The music man! That's what jamming!

Reply to
Tekkie©

The Music Man? Now that's a blast from the past!

Marilyn Manson

My umbrella is suddenly doing the same thing. Any answers yet?

Reply to
bernie

OMG! It's Umbrella-19.

Is there a vaccine yet?

Reply to
Marilyn Manson

This is a new type of umbrella, which is designed to never be closed. Attempting to force it may release vaccine-resistant CoViD-21 :-)

Reply to
hah

Hello my parasol starts to go down half way it starts going back up and reason y?

Reply to
jo

If it stays up for more than 4 hours you may need to see a doctor.

Reply to
Troika

On Sat, 21 Aug 2021 21:08:40 -0500, Troika posted for all of us to digest...

Ha, good one!

Reply to
Tekkie©

When I try to close my banana cantilever umbrella it goes halfway down then starts going back up again !

Reply to
Edstar