How long does it take for chlorine to kill germs in the water supply?

Hi All,
We are about to get a water meter put in. How long before the chlorine in the water supply will it take to kill germs on the water meter and what ever no good was on the plumber's hands (feces from the last toilet [Crapper] he worked on, nose pick germs, flu viruses, etc..)?
How much water should be run through it? 10 minutes?
Many thanks, -T
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I am Windows

    Or more. Disgusting, those working people, huh ?     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
On 02/18/2017 04:24 AM, Shadow wrote:

I am one of those disgusting working people.
Do you even wash your hands between patients?
On 2/18/2017 4:44 AM, T wrote:

The guy that changed our meter did nothing but change meters. I ran the water to make sure it flowed and that was all. Never even thought about having to flush it.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 18 Feb 2017 10:18:33 -0500, Ed Pawlowski

Wow. I woudlnt' worry about it either. I doubt he has many germs on his hands and I'll give odds any he does don't get into the water. I suspect the meter has no germs at all, and if there were 30 or 40, they'd be so diluted by water in the first second that there would be only 3 or 4 in a glass of water and not enough to cause sickness,
A few germs are probably good for you. It's like a vaccine made with "weakened virus", that stimulates your immune system for when you have more of the same germ. I get the Salk and Sabin vaccines mixed up but one was killed virus and the other weakened virus.
On Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 11:34:18 AM UTC-5, micky wrote:

Typical water meter run through an autoclave or similarly disinfected?

There are more likely millions, maybe billions. How many are potentially harmful is another matter.

Agree, they would be greatly diluted. And I've never worried about using water after a meter change. If concerned, just avoid using it for drinking or food that won't be heated to boiling for awhile.
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 18 Feb 2017 08:47:56 -0800 (PST), trader_4

No but there's little opportunity to get germs durring manufacture, and most of the ones it gets die for lack of water to live in. I know some germs can be dormant in a dry area but, based on what I've heard, I don't think most can.

Billions on the repair man sure, but I don't think he'll transfer any to the meter. (I mean/meant the inside of the meter where the water goes. If he blows his nose and it dribbles on the outside of the meter, it's no skin off my nose.)

Maybe the OP, who was T who is known to believe strainge things, is confusing it with times pipes are repair in a ditch, which I think is when stones can get in the water supply. And those need to be purged for a few minutes after the repair is complete. I've never heard any concern about meter germs in the water.
On Saturday, February 18, 2017 at 12:02:40 PM UTC-5, micky wrote:

What makes you think it's a brand new meter? Utilities have to change meters every so often to make sure they are accurate. AFAIK, they take them back, test and re-certify them. I just had a gas meter swapped like that and the replacement one isn't new.
On 02/18/2017 12:02 PM, micky wrote:

I've never noticed that T "believe strainge things". Would you please point us to some examples?
On 02/19/2017 05:37 AM, Trumpster wrote:

Well now, there is the... no wait, that is normal.
And there is ... no, that is normal too.
I lead a boring life.
On 02/18/2017 09:02 AM, micky wrote:

Chuckle! Indeed!

Look up "Cryptosporidium"
T posted for all of us...

Don't drink the water... fish fuck in it.
--
Tekkie

    The advantage of the Sabin vaccine is that it spreads from the vaccinated person to un-vaccinated people, so has a better coverage than the Salk, who's vaccine was more "commercial".     What eliminated polio was the passive vaccination.     I met Sabin in 1981, when he was rather old, and had become more of a politician than a researcher ... still had a very sharp mind though.     []'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
On 02/18/2017 07:18 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Great feedback. Thank you!
On 02/18/2017 01:44 AM, T wrote:

Follow up on my research:
Reference: Canadian Chlorine Chemistry Council http://www.cfour.org/frequently-asked-questions-faqs/
Germ inactivation for chlorinated water:
Laboratory testing results using chlorine demand free water with 1ppm (1mb/L) ph 7.5, 77F(25C) and the absence if cyanuric acid,
Note, typical tap chlorine is 0.5ppm
E. coli O157:H7 Bacterium Less than 1 minute
Hepatitis A Virus About 16 minutes
Giardia Protozoan about 45 minutes
Cryptosporidium Protozoan [very contagious] about 15,3000 minutes (10.6 days) [holy s*** !!!]
So, anyway, hope the installer does have the runs ...
-T