Organic Gardening.

A recent correspondent was concerned that horses shared the same pasture as fallen Pecan nuts. I have always used organic fertilisers and manures, when available, in conjunction with others, as the crops needed. A glance through Organic Gardening books however recommends such manures for 'Organics' that I'm surprised that many new potatoes aren't 'gift wrapped'!! Even these practices seem to engender no noticed health hazards~~ though I do avoid 'Organic Produce' other than my own. Even their appearance is off-putting. Eating 'fads' always seem to go OTT. Best Wishes~~ A good site though some contributors do seem unduly caustic to those genuinely looking for advice.

Reply to
brianflay

A recent correspondent was concerned that horses shared the same pasture as fallen Pecan nuts. I have always used organic fertilisers and manures, when available, in conjunction with others, as the crops needed. A glance through Organic Gardening books however recommends such manures for 'Organics' that I'm surprised that many new potatoes aren't 'gift wrapped'!! Even these practices seem to engender no noticed health hazards~~ though I do avoid 'Organic Produce' other than my own. Even their appearance is off-putting. Eating 'fads' always seem to go OTT. Best Wishes~~ A good site though some contributors do seem unduly caustic to those genuinely looking for advice.

Reply to
brianflay

Hot steamy crap as opposed to composted manures are one of the primary sources of life-threatening ecoli, which provides the chief reason to keep farm animals in the pasture & not in the orchard. One outbreak of ecoli here in the Northwest a few years back was traced to unpasturized "natural" apple juice, & after the company's stocks suffered from the bad press, they thereafter sold only pasturized juices.

Organic produce is not grown in animal pastures. If you're "avoiding" organic produce, then you're getting a higher dose of pesticides & herbicides in your diet, while not increasing even slightly the chance that nothing was harvested where cattle, deer, or other ruminants may have wandered through crapping on what you eat.

-paghat the ratgirl

Reply to
paghat

Reply to
brianflay

National organic standards, as well as OMRI do not allow manures to be used closer than 180 days from harvest. I believe this would apply to nut trees, but am unsure. I don't find any direct reference to an exemption.

Reply to
Tom Jaszewski