Who Is Willing To Make This Cut?

Does this picture make anyone besides me just a bit queasy?

It was accompanied with the following text:

"Attach a stop with a clamp at 7 in. along the miter gauge to get consistent cuts."

I think I'll use the "stop block on fence" technique.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's not totally safe. I'd use a different technique.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Like an SCMS?

Reply to
krw

Sonny snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote in news:ba8439dd-e908-40d8-98b9- snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

I wouldn't trust it to be repeatable either. If that 2x4 is not tight to the table, the work piece can slide under and your cut will be off ever so slightly.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

It does not appear that the image is taken during the sawing action, looks like just the tightening of the clamp. I don't have a real concern with the set-up other than, as said before, repeatability or even consistency during the cut. Agree that it looks like the leading edge might be inclined to "dive" under the stop block. Reversing the bevel, with the leading edge up high, might offer a more consistent approach...

Reply to
Brian Welch

How do you get the 2x4 tight without lifting the miter gauge in the slot? It looks like a bad idea all around.

Reply to
krw

I don't like the idea of the piece being trapped between the stop block and the blade. It just doesn't look safe to me.

What would happen if the piece got a little loose and shifted/"twisted" sideways a bit?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Seriously? What do you think happens next?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Not sure, let's watch the video together and find out...

Reply to
Brian Welch

Good point...one reason why I would have preferred the reverse bevel cut...

Reply to
Brian Welch

A properly functioning human brain has the ability to combine current inputs, be they imagery, written words, or both, and combine them with past experiences to imagine/predict what will happen in the future.

When I look at an image that includes a table saw, miter gauge, a piece of wood, etc. and then read the words "Attach a stop with a clamp at 7 in. along the miter gauge to get consistent cuts" my brain draws on past experiences with those objects and helps me to put together a mental image of what comes next.

My brain tells me that sometime in the near future the person in the picture is going to turn on the table saw and push the miter gauge forward, resulting in an "sawing action", to use your words. Sure, he may pause for a sip of coffee, don a pair of safety glasses, or maybe even take a nap, but based on the image and the words provided, I am pretty confident that a "sawing action" is relatively imminent.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Yes! It is a trapped cut and could easily kick back, especially if the piece is not held "securely" in place. If the operator held the piece "securely" in place less danger but still a bad idea. The cut needs to be done on the opposite side of the blade.

The stop block is not that big of an issue, assuming that it is only for reference and the piece, again, is securely in place before the cut.

Reply to
Leon

well put...so much for my properly functioning brain... <grin>

Reply to
Brian Welch

It looks like he's using a small saw that doesn't have a lot of power so there's little actual danger--the thing will likely stall instead of throwing the workpiece. The trouble with learning on small tools is that you learn to expect a stall rather than the workpiece being thrown into the next county or your liver, whichever it hits first.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I don't see that much of a kickback threat. Unless there is some waste or other object underneath the piece being cut off, the force being applied by the saw blade is pushing the workpiece down and rearward into the auxiliary fence on the miter gauge.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Don't underestimate the cheapness of cheap tools, though. Saw binds, pushes part back, twists "backing board", rips out small wood screws, overwhelms bolt on miter gauge, twists it out of the slot, throws the whole ensemble right at the operator.

Always plan for the worst.

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Jeez, IYHO I guess. I had more issues with less HP saws than with higher HP saws. Size has nothing to do with it.

My experience is that a lower power saw and blade will slowdown and catch the wood to throw it back. With more power the blade simply cuts through the tight spot.

Reply to
Leon

Exactly.

Reply to
Leon

Any time the work piece is captured under a blade and against a solid stop the potential is exaggerated for kick back.

Reply to
Leon

Don't be discourage by some of the comments. You should have seen the flack I took when I thought the SawStop was a good idea 20 years ago. Those people probably voted for Biden. ;~)

Reply to
Leon