what is the value of a sears craftsman10 inch radial arm saw model no. 113.29411

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Mon, 25 Dec 2017 16:46:45 -0800 (PST) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    After four years - might not be for sale.
    But the real question is "Value to who? Value as what?"
--
pyotr filipivich
Hey, all. I realize this is an old thread, but I don't seem to have anywher e else to turn with my question.
On Monday, February 19, 2018 at 10:15:47 PM UTC-6, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote :

ere else to turn with my question.

del 315.23743, but it's without the blade guard (the clear plastic cover on ly) as it broke and neither the saw model number or the actual part number pulled from the users manual bring up that part ANYwhere, including the Sea rs parts house(s). At present there are no listings on the eBay machine for this blade size either.

other brand fit it if I can't get the Sears flavor?

    Value to whom?     Value as What?
snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com on Mon, 19 Feb 2018 20:15:41 -0800 (PST) typed in rec.woodworking the following:

    Craigslist?
    Unfortunately, you might have a complete orphan there. Sears sold off the Craftsman brand, so you're probably out of luck.
    May have to take up metal working in order to make your own replacement.
--
pyotr filipivich
Selling a craftsman radical saw model number 113.197752 what is it worth

#100 - http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/
http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/determinemodels.aspx#search

Reading down the page I found this:
"Federal law bars any person from selling products subject to a publicly-announced voluntary recall by a manufacturer or a mandatory recall ordered by the Commission."
Therefore, it would be wise to check out your second link

Emerson Tool will pay $100 for proof that you have disabled the saw if it is on the recall list.
If one chooses not to disable the saw and sells it, 1) You are breaking a law and, 2) You are probably leaving yourself open to a civil lawsuit if the new owner injures himself and retains a smart attorney - and you have anything worth taking...
Therefore, the best answer seems to be, the saw is worth $100 to Emerson.
--

Jerry O.

On 4/14/18 1:45 PM, Jerry Osage wrote:

Jump on that offer. You'll be hard pressed to find anyone to give you more than 50 bucks for it. Since they stopped sending out the replacement parts for it, they're not very good tools to own. I got the replacement parts from the recall and mine is one of my favorite and most accurate saws. But the thing was downright dangerous before installing the replacement recall parts.
--

-MIKE-

On Sat, 14 Apr 2018 13:45:39 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@invalid.net (Jerry Osage) wrote:

That a government agency attempts to intimidate people with threats does not mean that the threats have any substance. Read the law and it's on about "the manufacturer or any distributor or retailer of the product". Someone who owns the saw having purchased it from Sears is certainly not the manufacturer or distributor and generally speaking would not be regarded as a retailer (see the big flap about "the gun show loophole" for an example of the effect of this distinction in another area). If the matter really concerns you then pay a lawyer to look into it. It will cost you more than the value of the saw though.

I did read the law, and I didn't see anything like that at all.
https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/15/2068
Looks pretty clear to me that it applies to individuals as well; where did you see language that restricts that prohibition to manufacturers, distributors, and retailers?

Actually, I have a lawyer looking into it right now. It won't cost me anything, though, as the lawyer is my son.
On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 5:49:06 PM UTC-4, Doug Miller wrote:

Wouldn't the information be confidential?
On 4/23/2018 5:13 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

It would be, but privilege is the client's to waive. He's the only one who can. Attorney has no standing to waive the privilege.
On Monday, April 23, 2018 at 6:19:03 PM UTC-4, Unquestionably Confused wrote:

Wouldn't what I said be an attempt at humor?
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 16:36:25 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03

Perhaps?
So that wooshing sound was real.....
On Mon, 23 Apr 2018 21:49:02 -0000 (UTC), Doug Miller

I did a search of the US Code on the keyword "recall" IIRC.

language

Just heard back from my son a few minutes ago.Here's his reply:
OK - so short answer is no, you can't sell the saw. For the other parts...
Application of ?any person? ? Yes, it applies to natural persons first and foremost. But in some contexts, it certainly means not natural persons. A juridical ?person? only needs a capacity to sue or be sued. So a corporation is a juridical person; so is civilly-forfeited cash. Where any person is modified by ?for purposes of this section? it usually means to include juridical persons, but it does not indicate either way by itself whether it is including or excluding classes of persons.
Change in remedy ? I think the subsequent remedy is the sole remedy; it could also be that they stopped making the blade guard. It also says remedy has changed, not alternative remedy.
Can you sell the saw? I don?t actually know, but I?m still saying no. If you want a real answer, you need to talk to a federal consumer protection attorney. Pragmatically speaking, you will spend more talking to an attorney than the saw is worth, and it?s tough to beat your already- up-$100 position unless you can sell the saw for a lot more than I would pay for it =P

I did that too, and all I found was the statement that it's unlawful for "any person" to sell any consumer product that's been the subject of a recall.
On 4/23/2018 9:34 PM, Doug Miller wrote:

Wow! Makes one think twice about an individual selling a vehicle to another individual. Having worked in the automotive industry for many years I can tell you that most any vehicle that you can point at has or will be the subject of a recall.

Air Bags, just got the Ranger's changed.
On 4/24/2018 9:21 AM, Markem wrote:

LOL just to name the obvious one.. I do not know how much has changed since I worked at a dealership but it was not unusual for a vehicle to have 2~3 outstanding campaigns/recalls when one drove up on the service drive. Oldsmobile was pretty serious about the dealers checking for outstanding campaigns on every Olds that came in for service, this is whether the customer knew about a recall or not.
I recall the first year that the Ford Probe was introduced it had 50+ items that had to be checked and or corrected before the dealers could sell them. Talk about rushing a product to market before checking all the safety boxes.