Tropical hardwoods and your conscience

On Fri, 18 Jun 2004 01:53:48 GMT, "Lew Hodgett" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

Well Oz pays up to $5/gallon........ah! hang on.....6 pint gallon...say $3.50/gallon

Reply to
Old Nick

How much of that is tax? It sure sounds like a regressive way to colllect money.

Reply to
Greg

Wes responds:

Nevada who have both told me they were paying $2.39.9 recently, and in Parkersburg, WV I recently paid $1.95.9, which is enough. It had gone up to $2.03.9 in P'burg earlier.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

In Parkersburg, listening to WTAP, you do NOT need an oscilloscope. Ears work fine. The sound variations during programs are almost as bad as those during the commercials, but the commercials always err on the up side of the scale.

Possibly, it's the cable company, but I'm inclined to doubt it because those in-program bounces do not occur on other stations.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

Cable companies _are_ notorious for inserting their own commercials over what was on the feed. It gets really funny, when their time-sync is out of step, and you get a couple of seconds of the 'feed' commercial before the local cut-over.

And _most_ are operated so far 'on the cheap' that they can't be bothered to balance the signal levels (audio _or_ video) between the different feeds. when things are 'done right', you should *not* have to adjust the picture or the audio, just because you change cable channels. As they say, "so much for the theory."

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

But the kicker in the NW is that something on the order of 80+% of our gasoline comes from points north yet any time there's a refinery problem in California our prices jump a few cents or a nickel. To the average Owen, it looks like, "any excuse'll do."

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Does anyone recall that the "oil man" ran against a guy who thought the best way to promote conservation was to tax gasoline to that level? Even wrote in a book about it. Funny thing about those forced conservationists is they expect other people to do the tough work, like find some other way for the suburbanites to get to work, the goods to market, and redistribute the wealth gained from such taxes to minimize the effect on "the poor" and reward the deserving, normally defined as those most likely to vote for the politician. Of course to those who work for a living, there appears to be little difference between $3/gal gasoline price created by taxes or shortages. Except, of course, the warm feeling you get knowing that you've helped conserve for the children.

I've got a 35 mile drive to the grocery store, so I go once a week and make the round of stores just like the old farmers. I'll be on the road by nine today.

Reply to
George

Absolutely, though as anyone who took the time to think would have known this, I feel your facts will not influence their "truth."

As to sound levels, I did the transmitters, but I always felt those boys back at the board in the studio were jerking the audio around just to frustrate me.

Reply to
George

Years ago the audio and video feeds to the local stations used to be separate facilities and they could control the audio levels ( I used to have to do the adjustments on the "backbones" in Buffalo). Since the network feeds went to satellite the audio and video are carried on the same signal. I could be wrong, but unless the commercial is local I don't think the stations can control the audio level.

Nova

Also, the typical audio track of commercials is highly compressed. The result is that when you have your sets volume adjusted for a wider dynamic range of audio (usually turned up), a compressed signal will sound a lot louder than what you were watching. Many sets have a choice of audio decoding options stashed somewhere in a setup menu. You can usally play with these to reduce the effect.

-Bruce

Reply to
BruceR

Reply to
George

Hey! AM still works GREAT!

My favorite station (other than XM ) is AM.

It's not just for old folks, I'm 38.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

Fly-by-Night CC schreef

  • + + It is more complicated than that. Usually it does not matter what the local people think. If they get in the way of the government or bigbusiness the local people are deported or shot.

If the trees cannot be sold as timber, they can be sold as pulp (for paper), or burnt have the ash used as fertilizer. PvR

Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel