aphids on tropical milkweed

We have a tropical milkweed that is frequently visited by Monarch butterflies. Wife picks the eggs off and raises the caterpillars in the house (safe from ants) and we feed them native milkweed (Asclepias syriaca.) She has released at least 100 butterflies so far this year. Anyway...

The aphids on the tropical have just exploded in the past week and the plant is covered with them. What can I use to kill them without harming the butterflies? Soap? Half-strength dormant oil spray?

Since the plant is in a pot, I suppose I /could/ hide it in into the garage for a day or two if I need to use something stronger like Sevin or Rotenone or pyrethrin. But I'd like to find a contact poison that leaves *no* residue.

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

zxcvbob wrote: ...

for one plant, soft brush them off or use a spray of water, see if any remain after that and then hit them with a weak soapy water solution to drown them. keep an eye out for ants that may be "herding" them. repeat as needed...

songbird

Reply to
songbird

Aphids won't harm milkweed and they won't venture off the plant, I'd leave well enough alone.

Reply to
Brooklyn1

They do however stunt its growth considerably.

Reply to
~misfit~

That's exactly what I do. Soapy solution is approximately 1% dish washing liquid (10mls to a litre). Much stronger makes the milkweed grow twisted and stunted.

Reply to
~misfit~