Azalea - repeat blooming

Bought my first Azaleas described as "repeat blooming".

Any experience out there?

TIA

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

To clarify: Most Azaleas are supposed to bloom only once a year. So I wondered if anyone had planted these "repeat bloomers" or have any info about them.

TIA

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon

My 'Pride of Dorking' bloomed in the spring as usual. It also bloomed again in July. My 'George Taber' bloomed at the end of winter and then again in the middle of spring. I think my 'Alaska' and 'Formosa' also have had two bloom periods in some years. I think this is more a result of quirky weather than anything else. Note that all four of these azaleas are evergreen.

Reply to
David E. Ross

Encore and Bloom-a-Thon are specifically bred to re-bloom.

Reply to
Boron Elgar

Depends on the variety. I have some southern indica azaleas and most of them bloom multiple times each year. Here are some from Monrovia:

One of mine is Southern Charm and it only blooms once, so I guess you just have to look at the details for each one.

Patty

Reply to
Patty Winter

Thanks to all. I will be watching with interest to see if they perform.

HB

Reply to
Hypatia Nachshon