Tropical hardwoods and your conscience

He he - I can't imagine that not knowing where it is would prevent ordering a pre-emptive strike to deal with all those Woods of Mass Destruction. Probably start the whole thing off with a schlock and awl display.

Eh? George? Personal problems? No way. When he has real personal problems, he calls for a constitutional amendment...

Reply to
Morris Dovey

Are you sure he doesn't have personal problems? Look like he need Viraga to change his attitude?

Reply to
WD

That makes me think of the dolt I saw on TV a couple weeks ago. We were in one of our periodic "three bucks a gallon is coming" spurts, so the interviewer asked this guy, who was gassing up one of the largest SUVs made, if the costly gas would change his habits. His answer, paraphrased but close, was: We're Americans and this is how we live.

People like that make you wonder how they lived to grow up even as far as they did.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

Exactly, and there are many among us are like that and are very proud of it!

Nah, don't believe in gas shortage, there are millions barrels beneath Alaska's North slope and millions more off the coast of Texas and California. All we need to do is to pump it out and everyone could have more than one BIG SUVs? :-)

Reply to
WD

Conserving it just puts the day of reckoning a little farther off. Even if we all ride bicycles it's going to run out eventually. And don't say "more time to work on substitutes". A substitute will happen when the price of the substitute is less than the price of oil. There are plenty of them but no incentive to develop any of them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Reply to
Cody Hart

Cody Hart responds:

Well, as a start, it doesn't cost me anything at the moment, but it is going to cost my grandchildren and their children something. The waste is not in petroleum alone, but in steel, aluminum, plastics, leather and rubber, among other materials. Actually, I'd guess that a check of pricing on a pair of shoes might find some upward tension based on the use of a great deal of leather in the huge number of luxury vehicles now being turned out. Might not, too, but it's possible.

I don't embrace "anyone who has the money to buy anything" but you're welcome to do so. The thought tends to make me gag.

Woodworking is not a hobby for the...paycheck to paycheck type? Nice of you to let us know. Woodworking is a hobby for anyone who desires to work wood, and great expenditures of money are a nice thing for some, but are a long way from being an essential of the hobby.

And the dolt I spoke of, not proudly, as he is not mine, nor am I proud of his asininity, may well be a customer of the people for whom I write articles. So what? This isn't Woodcraft. Are you going to run and tell every editor in the U.S. that Charlie Self thinks energy pigs are dolts?

Whoopee.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

I've wondered about all the leather being used today in automobiles and even home furniture. I wonder if the pricing is low compared to 20 years ago because of the proliferation of McDonalds and the like. After making burgers, those outer cow packages have to be used for something. Next time you pass through the drive-up window you could be ordering kin of your seats. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

What is it going to cost them?

Which is recyclable.

Which is recyclable.

Another way of saying "oil".

Give me a _break_. I guess we shouldn't eat either either lest our descendants suffer a shortage of beef. Or are you not aware that leather comes off the same cow as your Big Mac.

AKA tree sap grown commercially on plantations.

And of course there's no "upward tension" from leather coats and furniture and so on? Most of the price of shoes at the low end is labor and at the high end is image.

No, but I'm going to filter everthing that you write through the awareness that you think that we need to conserve cowskin against future need. And if enough others do that you become a laughingstock.

That is one of the funniest things I've read in a while though. Ranks right up there with "never give your phone number to anybody who calls you on the phone".

Reply to
J. Clarke

I've seen "news" interviews with folks around my area and have witnessed the same comments. Asked if the prices will impact their Memorial weekend activities, they said something on the order of, "No. Whatever the price I'll pay it." I couldn't believe what I was hearing. The prices have risen about 30% and they are definitely having an impact on my wallet and activities.

As we all know, there's a saying that things are priced at what the market will bear. Well, if the public accepts $2.25 (our local prices) then that's what we'll be charged. There's little to no competition in gasoline sales any longer - most are owned by just a couple large corps that control the marketplace. Senator Wyden has done extensive studies on the oil industry and firmly believes they are colluding and manipulating but has had a difficult time pinning them to the wall as the oil industry is stretching and bending the law just enough to avoid legal action. It's pretty clear though they're running their businesses unethically.

Washington and Oregon get a majority of their gasoline from Alaskan crude yet anytime there's a blip on production in other parts of the country or world our prices are driven upward. It's a convenient excuse and the public just keeps on buying.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Owen Lowe responds:

I wish it have a slowing affect on mine, but I just turned in the moving truck, which sucked almost $77 worth of gas to go 340 miles. Something well under 10 MPG. Truck is almost new but is a really nasty machine. Plenty of power, but twitchy as hell, tires are out of balance, etc. Not fun to drive.

Lowest price around here is $1.71.9, but it ranges up to $1.89.9.

I've always been astonished at how the prices at the pump jump 2 days after the price of oil at the wellhead rises, weeks in advance of any of that oil being refined and sent out to stations. Another source of astonishment has been the fact that for a couple decades, there has a refinery fire or pipeline problems that cut the oil flow just at the height of the season, resulting in a jump in prices.

Oil companies saying they're doing nothing wrong is about like local TV stations claiming they don't turn the sound up during commercials.

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to." Dorothy Parker

Reply to
Charlie Self

Do you price your materials at your acquisition cost or replacement cost?

Don't worry too much about refinery problems, we haven't added any in the US in years - dirty and stinky, you know.

Reply to
George

I paid $2.08 this morning, which is down from a high of $2.16 about ten days ago.

It's beautiful having an oil man in the Whitehouse, ain't it.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

When I'm selling, I like LIFO.

When I'm buying, I like FIFO.

Regards, Tom.

Thomas J.Watson - Cabinetmaker (ret.) tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (real email)

Tom Watson

Why ride bicycles or worry when the day of reckoning is a little further away and the 2nd coming of Christ maybe just around the corner? :-)

Reply to
WD

That you G.W.?

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Correction, two oil men and one oil women.

Reply to
WD

I dunno why it would surprise you. It *is* simple business economics. The principle is 'pricing current inventory at _replacement_ cost'.

If you _don't_ do that (but continue to price at 'acquisition cost'), then, in a period of rising prices, you have to come up with, from 'somewhere', the _additional_capital_investment_ necessary to maintain your inventory.

That means that the debt-service burden increases. And that one then has to raise prices to cover both the increased cost of inventory, _and_ something to defray the additional debt-service cost.

Basically, it's a choice between raising prices 'some now', or 'more later'.

Note: those are, _by_no_means_, the only times that those kind of problems occur.

Such events _do_ tend to be somewhat more frequent at 'peak demand' times, and at those times, the impact _is_ larger than at non-peak times.

Additionally, the off-peak events do not get the general press notice that ones occurring during peak times do. They don't affect the end-user market to any significant degree, so they're simply not 'newsworthy'. So, the only ones that the public hears about are the ones that affect prices, mostly during the peak season.

There _is_, however, a rational explanation for the 'why' of it, that does not involve any dishonesty/malicious-manipulation by the oil companies.

There simply is *not* a significant amount of 'reserve', or 'excess' capacity in the system. This means that at 'peak' times, _everything_ is being utilized. Including the 'older', and 'temperamental', systems that are more prone to breakdowns. In off-peak times, there _is_ 'excess' capacity, and when 'something' breaks, a 'something else', that had been sitting idle, is available to take over the load -- without adversely affecting overall production. However, at the peaks, there _is_ _no_ "'something else' sitting idle" to fill in, and total output thus suffers.

It's a balancing act, between -having- (and PAYING FOR) 'reserve capacity', which increases the cost _all_ the time, or suffering the 'blips' when something happens during 'peak' times.

News flash: The TV stations do _not_ turn the sound up during the commercials. Commercials 'sound' louder, because the producers of the commercial play games (audio compression) with the sound track, to boost the _average_ audio level, while keeping the peaks at the same level.

'Station' sound levels are always set to keep the _peaks_ under the maximum that the equipment can handle.

[I've got professional experience in both 'station operations' and production of commercials.]

Confirming that that is "what's actually going on" requires nothing more than a cheap oscilloscope, hooked up to the audio output of a TV.

Several TV manufacturers -- Maganavox, for one -- have been making sets for at least 10 years with 'automatic volume control' built in. EVEN on those sets, the commercials 'sound' louder. Because the AVC works on the 'peak' levels, not the 'average'.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Try SoCal pricing.

Lowest price is about $2.19 which is a drop of about $0.08 from last week for self serve.

Personally, I'd like to see it hit about $7-$8/gal.

Bet that would be a little motivation to get serious about weaning the US from foreign oil dependence.

An oil man in the White House?

Yep, let's see how much longer the will try to hide behind WMD.

It has always been about the control the oil baby. Still is.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett
[snip] | |Lowest price around here is $1.71.9, but it ranges up to $1.89.9.

Oh you whiners [g].

Look what I paid a coupla months ago.

Wes