Router burn on hardwoods

I'm having a problem with burning when using my router on hardwoods. Is this a fault of my technique? Moving router to fast? It occurs with new and resharpened blades so I don't think it's dull bits. Thanks

Reply to
Evon

It actually happens when you move too slow, not too fast. If you pause at any point, it can happen almost instantly. Cherry is particularly prone to this. The best way to avoid it is to make sure you have clean & sharp bits (which you say you have) and to move at a steady rate without pausing at all.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I avoid this by running two passes as apposed to a single. I run the router at a constant speed taking off 3/4 of the depth I want. I then run a second pass to clean everything up. As stated by Mike, make sure you run a constant speed and NEVER pause when routing.

Reply to
Bob

Not moving fast enough is usually the cause for burning.

However, some woods, cherry for instance, are especially prone to burning and some burning is frequently unavoidable no matter what you do.

Reply to
MikeG

Moving too slowly will cause burning. Try making at least 2 passes, with the last pass being the lightest.

David

Ev> I'm having a problem with burning when using my router on hardwoods. Is this

Reply to
David

For me, I take very small passes, and push the wood through the bit as fast as the bit will chomp thru it. And I use top shelp bits.

Reply to
DamnYankee

The November issue of Wood magazine has an article ("learn not to burn") that reinforces and elaborates on the advice others have already provided.

TWS

Reply to
TWS