Need advice on cabinet door detail.

I've finished half of the cabinets for my kitchen and I thought it would look interesting if I were to put those little square pegs near the corners of the doors. I'm using maple and I was thinking of walnut or mahogany pegs. I have a morticing machine but I'm not sure how to go about it. Any advice or comments welcome. Mikey

Reply to
mbaybut

Shouldn't be too difficult. Don't own a mortising machine, but offhand, I'd say to practice a bit. No through cuts, do part from one side, flip it, and then cut from the other side. Shouldn't be too hard to make a little corner jig for multiple units.

You'd could probably use a flush cut saw for trimming the pegs too.

Upscale

snipped-for-privacy@msn.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Saw David Marks do this on one of his shows on the dish lately. If I remember correctly, he drilled the (round) hole where he wanted the peg to go, and then used the mortising chisel (not in the machine), without the center auger, to square up the hole, tapping it with a mallet to get started. Then he cleaned up the sides with a paring chisel, and set his pegs. I remember that he domed the tops of the pegs on a disk sander before installation, which seemed really smart to me.

As to choice of woods - I like the pairing of cherry with maple, and the woods seem to finish similarly. Walnut with maple seems too contrasty to my eye, but then, I probably won't be spending a lot of time in your kitchen. Walnut end grain takes up a lot of oil, and other finishes. Try some, and see how you like the effect. Mahagony might exhibit similar behavior. Or not.

Your local hardwood dealer might have some interesting exotics to consider, especially since you can get a LOT of pegs from a board foot.

Have some fun with this. Practice on scrap, and see what the other 'interested parties' have to say about the trial runs.

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch