Growing Tropical Plants in your Loft/Attic

Hi guys,
Are these new LED-based lamps suitable for growing a certain tropical plant in your attic? They're apparently much more efficient and produce more lumins per Watt and less heat. But is less heat a drawback in this particular application? Do the plants require heat as much as light?
Peace, people.
Jules.
On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:21:29 +0000 (UTC), Julian Barnes

Seems LED lighting for horticulture is becoming quite popular, replacing fluorescents http://tinyurl.com/kupkj4o
Discussion here http://tinyurl.com/nkqplde
and here http://tinyurl.com/l3rervj
The getting the correct wavelength of light for a particular crop may be important. As to heat, some things don't require much heat, other things may need quite a lot. But it has to be better to supply heat and light separately, as they can then be independently controlled.
But why would you want to grow tomatoes in your attic?
--

Chris

Dope I expect........
On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:46:09 +0100, "harryagain"

Er...I think I got that, Harry.
--

Chris

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 18:46:09 +0100, harryagain wrote:

Whooosh.
wish to copy them they can pay me £3 0a message.

It's possible to say that about quite a lot of Harry's posts. He's obviously very green (that's green as in naïve), and quite often totally misses the point.
--

Chris

On Friday, April 17, 2015 at 8:07:10 PM UTC+1, Chris Hogg wrote:

Poorly informed discussion
"Photoperiodic lighting - because of spectral output and cost consideration s, tungsten light bulbs have remained the light source of choice for this a pplication for many years. However, tungsten light bulbs were phased out by the UK Government on 1st September 2011 "
Tungsten is still alive and in the shops and has never been used for hortul tural use.

LED as a supplement to 600W HPS

LEDs tend to be not so great for flowering plants, vegetative growth they`r e OK

Sure the OP is looking at growing chili`s ;-)

On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 12:22:05 -0700 (PDT), Adam Aglionby

You're wrong about that last bit. Tungsten lamps were widely used in the early days, before fluorescents came along. It's referred to in several of the articles linked to here http://tinyurl.com/lt8goft . I don't know the wattage commonly used, but I have a reference from the early 1960's to a row of 250 watt lamps being used to extend day length and speed up the growth of camellia seedlings*. Tungsten lamps are still available for household use, but are these high-wattage ones still available?
*Treseder & Hyams, 'Growing Camellias', Nelson, 1975, p.139
--

Chris

On Saturday, 18 April 2015 17:43:52 UTC+1, Chris Hogg wrote:

ce

is

ions, tungsten light bulbs have remained the light source of choice for thi s application for many years. However, tungsten light bulbs were phased out by the UK Government on 1st September 2011 "

tultural use.

years ago I tried using halogen temporarily for indoor plants, but too much heat for enough light. And not a sensible option longer term.
NT
On Saturday, April 18, 2015 at 5:43:52 PM UTC+1, Chris Hogg wrote:

ce

is

ions, tungsten light bulbs have remained the light source of choice for thi s application for many years. However, tungsten light bulbs were phased out by the UK Government on 1st September 2011 "

tultural use.

Thats fascinating Thanks Chris, guessing probably referring to 250W GLS, c onventional bulb shaped lamps, the tungsten halogen lamp didn`t come about till the late 50`s and would have still been an exotic lamp then.
Always thought too much IR in tungsten to be useful, that and lamp life isn `t anywhere near the 10K+ hours can get out of HPS,current HPS/HID like flu ro are result of decades of development now.
Tungsten daylight/grow/craft/sad lamps are a con, all it is is a blue coati ng on the lamp.

Yes very odd innit.
Could it possibly be that the crop might upset the locals or be illegal in some way? Brian
--
From the Sofa of Brian Gaff Reply address is active
"Chris Hogg" < snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net> wrote in message
On 18/04/15 09:21, Brian Gaff wrote:

Always struck me that a house with a generous cellar would make a far better growing emporium. Out of sight of the thermal cameras, wate heat, if wanted would tend to heat the house any noise of equipment would be well muffled.
Perhaps one of those fine converted houses in Kensington with the 4 level basements?
On Saturday, 18 April 2015 11:01:47 UTC+1, Tim Watts wrote:

I thought one of the other main problems was ventilation as in getting rid of the smell and gettign enough air flow to stop certain moulds and insects.
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 04:47:08 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave

Stagnant air certainly does encourage mould growth, but I don't think it has any effect on insects one way or the other.
--

Chris

On Monday, 20 April 2015 13:38:09 UTC+1, Chris Hogg wrote:

I've heard about frip(SP) phrip can't remmeber the spelling that comes about due to the higher temperatiures and humidity.
On Mon, 20 Apr 2015 06:03:52 -0700 (PDT), whisky-dave

ITYM thrips; they like warm, humid conditions (they're aka thunder-bugs). This link http://tinyurl.com/ow2w956 does suggest forced air circulation using powerful fans to blow them away, but I have difficulty in believing that it is very effective. There are plenty of better ways.
--

Chris

As I don't have a garden (or balcony), where else would you suggest I grow them? :-)
tim
"Julian Barnes" wrote in message

Pardon my asking, but these "tropical" plants of yours, wouldn't look anything like this would they....
http://tinyurl.com/ognwr6e
--
Best Wishes
Simon (Dark Angel)
On Fri, 17 Apr 2015 20:52:42 +0100, Simon T wrote:

Or this one:
http://goo.gl/BjGL82
wish to copy them they can pay me £3 0a message.