Growing Tropical Plants in your Loft/Attic

Dope I expect........

Reply to
harryagain

Hi guys,

Are these new LED-based lamps suitable for growing a certain tropical plant in your attic? They're apparently much more efficient and produce more lumins per Watt and less heat. But is less heat a drawback in this particular application? Do the plants require heat as much as light?

Peace, people.

Jules.

Reply to
Julian Barnes

Poorly informed discussion

"Photoperiodic lighting - because of spectral output and cost consideration s, tungsten light bulbs have remained the light source of choice for this a pplication for many years. However, tungsten light bulbs were phased out by the UK Government on 1st September 2011 "

Tungsten is still alive and in the shops and has never been used for hortul tural use.

LED as a supplement to 600W HPS

LEDs tend to be not so great for flowering plants, vegetative growth they`r e OK

Sure the OP is looking at growing chili`s ;-)

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Pardon my asking, but these "tropical" plants of yours, wouldn't look anything like this would they....

Simon T

Tropical plants - what ARE you like?

OK - seriously... I assume you mean orchids :)

Given that certain high lumen cultivation systems actually have alot of problems getting rid of excess heat, I suspect a strong cool light is actually better. The optimum temperature depends on the species, but I'd say you're better off getting the lighting cool and right and supplementing the heating *only when necessary* with tube heaters or soil heaters.

The main concern would be giving the plants a useful spectrum - fluorescent tubes are made specially for growing not sure if there are LED lamps that are as well tuned?

Reply to
Tim Watts

Large fluorescent tubes make a lot more sense really. And sodium make even better sense. LEDs no, less light per lumen, far more upfront cost.

If the plants are of a dubious nature, expect overhead IR scans to pick it up, I believe these are used to plan raids. BICBW.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

police helicopters fly over houses looking for heated attics then send their mates to batter down your doors

[g]
Reply to
DICEGEORGE

HO T5 is the fluro option , the indoor growing market is several times the size of the weed growing business, all that out of season fuit, veg and flowers come from somewhere.

But guess osme of the weed growers are probably doing the cutting edge research

Be aware along with LED `grow lights` there is no end to the stuff they`ll punt weed growers

Cellotex may be a better option.

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

Or this one:

Bob Eager

Er...I think I got that, Harry.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

I noticed when I was looking for a quiet in-line extractor fan that a number of searches came up with suggestions that they might be suitable for such purposes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Yes very odd innit.

Could it possibly be that the crop might upset the locals or be illegal in some way? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Whooosh.

Reply to
Bob Eager

It's possible to say that about quite a lot of Harry's posts. He's obviously very green (that's green as in naïve), and quite often totally misses the point.

Reply to
Chris Hogg

Always struck me that a house with a generous cellar would make a far better growing emporium. Out of sight of the thermal cameras, wate heat, if wanted would tend to heat the house any noise of equipment would be well muffled.

Perhaps one of those fine converted houses in Kensington with the 4 level basements?

Reply to
Tim Watts

As I don't have a garden (or balcony), where else would you suggest I grow them? :-)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

OMG,

just what is that?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

That's Audrey.

Reply to
Bob Eager

A recent raid locally was the result of a Policewoman noticing the smell from the extractor system.

Reply to
Nightjar

'Snot, its Audrey II, Audrey was the woman who worked at the flower shop (Seymour's love interest).

Reply to
soup