Hearne Hardwoods order arrived

I bought 50 bdf of common #1 4/4 cherry from Hearne Hardwoods about a week ago. It arrived today via UPS, and I'm quite pleased with the contents, despite my worries to the contrary. The extra $15 to mill one face and one edge was well worthwhile. It's all straight, flat, and square, ready to run through the planer and rip to size. The shortest board is 7', the remainder all 8' long; one 12" wide, another 8+" wide; the remainder 5" to 7". In all, cutting around the expected defects will yield easily as much as 90% excellent, furniture size stock, delivered to the door for just a smidge over $5/bdf. I'd do it again, and just spend the extra for FAS only for the occasional long, wide boards.

Reply to
MikeWhy

Out of curiosity, what fraction was shipping (and roughly where/how far)? I didn't realize UPS shipped stuff that long routinely...

--

Reply to
dpb

Their listed price is $2.25/bdf for common 4/4. The UPS pack is $243 for 50 bdf; I opted for $15 extra to mill one face and edge. Pricing is uniform regardless of location, so I'm helping subsidize shipping for folks in Southern CA. It works out to about $130 for shipping, just about exactly half the total cost. It came in 3 packages, 2 were 70 lbs each, one was under 50 lb.

Reply to
MikeWhy

MikeWhy wrote: ...

Thanks...guess I'll just continue to make the 250 mile (one-way) trek every so often w/ the trailer and load up.

--

Reply to
dpb

Since these days you are looking at probably at least $0.50/mile, hope you buy a lot of wood to cover that 500 mile, $250 trip cost.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Yeah, typically 3-400 ft of 3-4 species per trip plus whatever specialty stuff. I try to keep a couple thousand feet on hand so it's when a needed particular is required I do a general restocking. Hasn't been too frequent lately, though, I've done very little the last couple years other than maintenance -- the feedlots and corrals rebuilding project ended up at _way_ more than I intended both time and bucks... :(

--

Reply to
dpb

Considering the amount you get at one time and the length it lasts you, particularly with the last amount, how do you store it to minimize warping?

Reply to
Upscale

It's just stacked and covered in the barn mow. This is a dry climate so moisture changes aren't much of a problem. There's construction lumber and siding in the barn that's been there I believe as left over from when it or the house was built (1914-19) that's still in perfect condition other than the surface oxidation. I can't bring myself to use it on but _very_ special purposes as replacing it would be impossible. (Clear fir and syp 20-ft'ers.)

But, even in TN/VA before I moved it wasn't much issue. Of course, I was using it up much quicker there for the most part.

--

Reply to
dpb