Chess Board

Trying to find plans for making a chess board. I found one set online, but would like some more to choose from. The one I found uses dowels to hold the strips together. I would like to know if there is a better way to do this?

Also, what is the best way to protect the wood. i.e. poly, tung oil etc...?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Reply to
Chris

There are several ways to do this. What's your skill level, your available tools, choice of materials?

I made one using red oak and white oak, cuttings strips, gluing alternate woods into a panel, and then cross cutting the panel, and gluing again. This is not a bad way to do it, but I had some warping issues with the oak trim around the edges. If I were to do it again, I would use much thinner dark and light woods, and glue to a piece of 1/2 plywood.

I finished with standard polyurethane because of the wear. I don't regret the decision, but the poly does give a slightly plastic look and feel.

S.

Reply to
samson

Skill level is intermediate. Tools are not a problem. One of the woods I was planing on using is dark mahogany, just because I have about 20bf in the shop. I do not have any idea on what the other wood will be. I was thinking of using hard maple around the edge with ebony inlay of some design I come up with. (I am planing a trip to Yukon Lumber in Norfolk, Va in early November to check on wood).

Is the glue enough to hold the strips together? The board is for my grandson. While he is pretty good about taking care of things, he is still a young boy.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

Not a problem, especially when built on a plywood backer.

Think floating panel design.

Allow the chess board to float in the rest of the table top.

Have fun.

BTW, maple makes a nice looking board which will contrast well with several dark wood choices.

Way back when, built a board using maple/walnut for the board, cherry for the balance.

YMMV

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Chris

I have a made a bunch of checker boards for the local schools over the years. I have use the method that Samson described by cutting strips, gluing, cutting strips, alternating and then gluing again. I have had problems when I glue the strips if I use to much clamp pressure I have a slight bow in the middle of the board. On the back side I use a piece of hardboard and draw a tic - tac - toe diagram so the kids can use the checkers for that. I have used black walnut and poplar, or whatever I can find in the "short" bins at my hardwood place. Then I will use something different for the borders. I have made them round, oval, rectangle, over the years. After you get the square board you can do the out side however you wish. I use poly to finish them

I like the idea of a 1/8 plywood backer though - never thought of that

Larry C

Reply to
Larry C