Totally Guy Songs (warning-these lyrics may be offensive to women-but maybe not)

"'Cause I got Magnetic Mary Ridin' on the dashboard of my car ...."

Reply to
Tom B

I submit

Lemon Tree (I prefer the Belafonte rendition)

and double down on

L>>> It's hard to believe that the Chick's Songs thread has run so hot. >>

Reply to
Tom B

Baby Take Off Your Dress - Joe Cocker (Can't listen to that song without visualizing Kim Basinger stripping to it in 9 1/2 Weeks)

Eileen - Keith Richards - recorded post humously (?) (He's been dead for year right? )

Holy Mother - Erci Clapton (there's a riff on this one that screams/pleads from the depths of hell)

The Extremist - Joe Satriani

The Stars Spangle Banner - Hendrix (patriotism and glory as seen by the guy being shot at and bombed, surrounded by the dead and dying)

Brothers in Arms - Dire Straits (Knoffler can do kick as rock riffs or heart tuggers that'll bring tears to your eyes)

Lay Lady Lay - Dylan - when he was actually singing

Just about anything by ZZ Tops (they do minor variations of the same song - over and over and over again - and it still kicks ass)

Blood on The Saddle - Tex Ritter

A Cripple on His Deathbead - Skip Spence - OAR album he did EVERYTHING on it - played all the instruments, wrote and sang the songs and recorded it all himself trying to get out of a contract with Warner. The "business" fried him - but once in a while, with a mike in front of him and a guitar in his hand he'd come back from where ever he normally was. If you were lucky enough to be there it was something you remember for a LONG time.

Anything by Les Paul - what a freakin' genious in so many areas. Every electric guitar player should bow their heads at the mention of his name. The Moody Blues should send him a check every month - forever.

Time - The Chambers Brothers (plus a red haired irish drummer)

Poncho and Lefty Always on My Mind - Willy Nelson

charlie b

Reply to
charlieb

I have a _fantastic_ live version of that in my iPod.

If I play it in the shop I've been known to stop working to shed a tear...

Reply to
B A R R Y

| Morris, what's DeSoto Solar? Seriously.

It's the name of a business that manufactures and sells really good passive solar air heating panels. Photos at the link in my sig.

"DeSoto Solar" is the DBA used because the shop (wannabe factory) is located in DeSoto, Iowa and because "Morris Dovey" probably wouldn't be much help to people looking for a product source.

As schedule and resources permit, I involve myself with related side projects from time to time and you can see a bit of one (and a hint of another) of the more interesting at

I try not to be too serious and not for too long at a stretch - it tends to make me cranky and impatient.

Seriously.

Morris Dovey

Totally Guy Songs?

Marty Robbins - pretty much every gunfighter ballad Johnny Cash - Folsum Prison Blues Waylon Jennings - Good Old Boys (theme song from The Dukes of Hazard) Kenny Rogers - The Coward of the County Jerry Reed - When You're Hot, You're Hot Credence Clearwater Revival - Bad Moon Rising Dave Dudley - Six Days On The Road Michael Martin Murphy - Cowboy Logic Hank Snow - I'm Movin' On Jan & Dean - Little GTO Merle Haggard - Workin' Man Blues Toby Keith - Courtesy Of The Red White & Blue Dean Martin - Standing On The Corner Gordon Lightfoot - The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald Johnny Horton - Ballad Of The Green Berets.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Plastic jesus 's got to go the magnet screws up the radio riding on the dashboard of my car

Reply to
Robatoy

I have a DVD called Music For Montserrat (Arrow, Jimmy Buffet, Eric Clapton, Phil Collins, Elton John, Mark Knopfler, Paul McCartney, Carl Perkind and Sting.) Mark Knopfler does a version of Brothers in Arms with a full orchestra ( IIRC conducted by George Martin at the Royal Albert Hall.)... let me just say this... if that doesn't give you goose-bumps, you are not alive. Maybe that is the version you have. (McCartney's rendition of Golden Slumbers is worth the price of the DVD alone.)

No shit, eh?

PS, did ever hear any Chet Atkins and Mark Knopfler 'duets'? I don't play them often, because every time I do, I put my Tele away in its case for a few days.

Reply to
Robatoy

Leon Russell: A Song for You or Tight Rope

Reply to
NuWaveDave

Anything by Barry Manilow, the BeeGees, Leo Sayer,...

Huh?

Oh, sorry. I thought you said totally GAY songs. (Not that there's anything wrong with that)

B.

Reply to
Buddy Matlosz

Good wife repellant music is Rob Zombie.....she leaves the shop in record time as soon as "Black Sunshine" comes on, and yes it is nice to be alone some days.

and IMHO for the list:

"The Jack" - AC/DC "Girls, Girls, Girls" - Motley Crue "Don't go away mad (just go away)" - Motley Crue "Cherry Pie" - Warrant "Uh! all night" - Kiss

Reply to
Allen Roy

Ballad of the Green Berets -- SSgt. Barry Sadler Almost Heaven -- John Denver Born of Frustration -- James 7 Washington Post March -- John P. Sousa

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Are you sure of that?

Reply to
Bill in Detroit

Bill in Detroit wrote in news:12tdccq6v44eqb1 @corp.supernews.com:

Sgt. Barry Sandler is the guy known for it. A quick Wikipedia lookup doesn't show anything about Johnny Horton.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

That's good, as this allows you to save the nukes (Rammstein and Accept) for when you really need them.

"The Jack" rates with "Whole Lotta' Rosie" as my two favorite AC/DC songs. "Sin City" can grab me on the right day.

I actually got to know the Warrant guys when they were up and coming, as the opening act on "The Paul Stanley All-Star's" solo tour in '89. To borrow a term from a famous movie, they "acted like pauncy hairdressers".

Reply to
B A R R Y

What? No Leif Garrett?

(I only remember him from the movie "Joe Dirt"! )

Reply to
B A R R Y

Must be a mess of ex-band members here on the rec.

Reply to
Bob Schmall

I designed and built a few PA systems and played a little, so my familiarity with the business is probably more in-depth than is healthy... but somehow, I always avoided rehab.

Half of my friends are musicians, the other half are sober businessmen. I get invited to both parties. What ties us together, is the hobby we share: we collect nude picture of Bea Arthur and Helen Reddy.

Robatoy

Nothing "ex" about it. :)

Reply to
Swingman

ROTFLMAO as the coffee comes spewing out of my mouth.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett