I may be just a grumpy old man but

I hate computer generated phone calls. I get one for my meds when I add a new prescription. I have asked to be taken off the list and they do, but some how I get added back.

Charter came out and installed TV today. I get a recording saying........If the install guy exceeded your expectations press 3 if he met your expectations press 2 ect.

They started question 2. I hung up.

Tell you what, if I have a complaint I will call you. If you don't hear me bitch (and I send you my money), you can assume you met my expectations.

Reply to
Metspitzer

What about checking out at the cashier in the store using a credit card. I love it when the card reader asks if the sales price is ok or not. I often joke with the cashiers and ask, "does this mean it's negotiable if I say no?".

Reply to
Doug

Your caller ID tell you it is computer generated? I'm impressed. Mine only gives the number and sometimes the caller.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"Metspitzer" wrote

I once wrote software that phoned people and reminded them of their medical appointments. The software was necessary because too many people were missing appointments and making it hard on the staff and on others waiting to get appointments. But the clinics didn't have the staff to personally phone everyone and remind them.

There was no provision in the software to exclude phone numbers. The software generated a log that showed whether the call was answered by a human, voicemail/machine, busy, no answer, or disconnected. It was excellent software if I do say so myself. The disconnected numbers would be highlighted so that the receptionist could ask the patient for a corrected phone number next time.

We never had any complaints about the software, and it decreased the number of missed appointments from 15% (that's 1 in 6) to about 5% (1 in 20).

Reply to
David Kaye

I agree those are necessary, and I get quite a few of those. If you listen to the whole message telling you to bring insurance and come early and what ever else they can think of (maybe flu shot info), you will finally get an option to press 1 to confirm.

I hang up on those too.

Reply to
Metspitzer

We get those calls from our medical group. Quite handy, especially if you were not sure of a time. We usually let them go to the machine, but we don't object to getting them.

It is the credit card and burglar alarm scams and the like that I object to.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

KMart is horrible for this. You get a whole list of questions before you can sign for your purchase. Last time I was there, the cashier, apparently knowing how people hate this, just reached over the credit card machine and randomly tapped his fingers on the screen, making it go directly to the signature screen. I'm sure the bean counters love this!

Reply to
Art Todesco

The only difference between a computer generated telemarketing call and a real person telemarketer is hanging up without telling them to do that physically impossible thingy.

Reply to
Frank

Mine too...and when the call is from an area code where I have no friends or relatives, I make the assumption that it's someone I don't want to talk to. If they leave a message - which they rarely do - I'll know whether my assumption was wrong - which it very, very rarely ever is.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

KMart requires zip code PLUS PIN number.....

Easy solution shop ANYWHERE ELSE!!!!!!

The local K Marts look like they have begun their going out of business sale. Dumpy dirty stores, OUT of many items, few clerks..... they deserve to close....

then we have JCPENNEY my once favorite store espically for clothes. Ron Johnson their new CEO has destroyed everything that was good about penneys:(

Pushed the gay agenda with gay couples on their catalog front pages, although hiring ellen wasnt over the top the gay couples were,,,,

ron cut inventory levels, cut workers so my local store is a dump, with inventory everywhere.... including the floor.. the mens fitting room was piles of non wanted clothes. they dont have enough help to run the store.......

ron is a total jerk he should of test marketed his crackpot idea in a

100 stores before rolling it out to the entire chain..... its cut sales around 30%. macys and kohls must be thrilled their sales are up.

the remaing help are chained to registers, and many having had their commisioned pay end are leaving for other jobs.

penneys too deserve to go out of business, it was profitable till ron arrived.....

he made a public statement that sales are better they are only off another 7%...

Reply to
bob haller

And the cashier, just to be nice, laughs even though she/he has heard this a million times.

Reply to
Kuskokwim

Let us know how that goes for you, if you live long enough to make it through the auto-attendant menu-go-round.

If you manage to get through to a human, they don't care if you cancel, there's another customer waiting to sign up.

The "new" customer metric: We'll swap dissatisfied customers and it all evens out in the long run, and we save on customer service in the short run by not having any. -----

- gpsman

Reply to
gpsman

I suspect we'll see more of it. Credit card fraud is rampant. Simple things like the zip code cuts down the mis-use quite a bit.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I've done that, but in a couple of instances, it was a call that was important. Call centers are all over the place now and it may be a "local" business with a call back from elsewhere..

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Are you saying that you answer every call that comes to your phone?

I only do that with my cell phone. I only give my cell number to those that I want to talk to. Every other place that requires a phone number gets my home phone number. If I don't recognize the number I don't answer it. I do have the advantage of still using a "local" answering machine as opposed to voice mail for my home phone, so I can screen calls but I honestly can't remember the last time I actually picked it up.

The vast majority of times the caller hangs up once the message begins. That tells me that it wasn't important.

Reply to
DerbyDad03
[snip]

I look at the caller ID, and don't answer:

name is City and State (these seem to always be junk calls)

name is duplicate of number (these are junk calls)

unfamiliar business names

non-nearby and unfamiliar area codes (mostly without person's names)

meaningless and unfamiliar business names (such as "TLA GROUP")

These almost never leave a message. Maybe they KNOW what they're selling is so bad no one who has a chance to think about it would want it.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

Not every call, but it only takes a couple of seconds to answer most times. If it is a robo call or such, I simply hang up. Every once in a while though, we get a call from an unrecognized number and the call is one that we would want to take.

Just yesterday, I was a "wireless caller" and number I never saw. Had I ignored it, my 3 yards of crushed stone would not have been delivered. It was the driver. Another number a week or so ago was about a medical test my wife took.

Right now, the phone is inches away from me. Not a big deal to answer a couple of times a week.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

In my case neither the driver nor the lab/Dr. office would have had my home phone number. As I said earlier, anyone that I would want to talk to will have my cell number.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

"DerbyDad03" wrote

I simply don't answer calls that don't show phone numbers or are from out of the area. The people I know from outside the area know to email me instead of phoning me. And anybody who knows me will know to leave a message or a text if they can't reach me immediately.

Reply to
David Kaye

And it makes it IMPOSSIBLE to buy (a full tank of) gas at many gas stations in the USA with a Canadian Credit Card. I had to explain several times to each of numerous cashiers at gas stations across the north central US this summer that I was going to fill the car, and , no, I did not know how much it was going to cost, but I'd leave the credit card with them until the tank was filled so there was no danger of me running off without paying..

Reply to
clare