Thought experiment

Ditto ... and despite the long proven ability to do it with few resources, it sure is nice to finally have some good tools that you just a little further down the road of pure pleasure when using, and that make your work that much easier.

IOW, despite the upbringing, you would have to pry my cold dead hands off my TS75 and guide rails.

Viva Festool! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Lee Michaels wrote: ...

Damn!!! I thought our jackrabbits were sizable but don't think they'd suit as draft hares... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

Good idea ... especially if you can get someone to come pick it up like they do hamburger grease at the local fast food.

Reply to
Swingman

Yeppers ... folks often ask how I learned woodworking. The answer has always been I never knew that you had to "learn" how.

When told to build picnic tables for the church bazaar at the age of nine, I was pointed to a picnic table and simply told "... do it like that."

Nuff said ... ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Flashing on a '50s horror movie called "night of the Lepus".

Reply to
J. Clarke

------------------------------ Understand it is a going business in certain parts of the country, which is why I asked about your area.

Some contractors have their own chipper, others sub it out.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It's still awfully hard to tighten a Phillips-head screw with a fern.

Reply to
HeyBub

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

Damn spellchecker!! LOL

I did not see that one. Just to clear the air, I meant HORSE, as in equine, as in the four legged farm animal.

Nope, we did not have those Aussie size rabbits around here.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Nope, International Harvester and John Deere.

And I was referring to the equipment, not the draft animal.

Nothing like a good typo, eh?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

Federalist highboy if they just gave you two sheets of plywood.

Yes, my thinking as far as those tools vs my own tools isn't so much being limited as to what I could do but more that I have never touched those particular tools before, and they probably aren't very good. I haven't set up that table saw so I don't even know if the thing will cut square. If I'm going to work fast I don't want to have to be double checking everything. Looking at the results they were getting I'm pretty confident I would have chucked that jigsaw across the field after trying it out, at the very least the blade in it wasn't meant for plywood. I'd want some time to at least find out what the tools can and can't do before being timed with em.

Business has picked up the last couple months and I find myself starting to have less time than orders, which is a good thing. It's supposed to be "slow" right now so I can build inventory for the holiday shopping, but right now I am not gaining on it. So working smarter and faster is a subject near and dear at the moment. The "I don't have enough space/clamps/etc" excuses only count for so much, the limiting factor is still me. At the end of the day I have what I have and it has to get done.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

"Lew Hodgett" wrote

I suppose you have to remove all the nails and metal out of the scrap wood before it gets chipped up.

That would suck, but it probably would save money. Probably not as much after you consider the time cleaning the wood.

Reply to
Morgans

"Swingman" wrote

Yes, on being able to look at something and make something new based on it.

The next step in learning is to look at it, and make something like it, but modified to suit your needs and available resources.

The largest step is being able to combine several ideas and methods into a totally new idea. That is the hardest thing to teach, but it also the most important.

As I teach my youngsters, I will never be able to show them how to do every type of construction detail they will run into if they stay in the trade for life. The key is to teach them how to think. How to use what they know to figure out how to get from problem to solution; one that they have never used before.

Reply to
Morgans

OK, now ya' done done it...gave me the opening for the following I first saw from a tech support guy he posted on his company's private newsgroup help forum...I've always like it; enjoy -- :)

I have a spelling checker. It came with my PC. It plane lee marks four my revue Miss steaks aye can knot see.

Eye ran this poem threw it. Your sure real glad two no. Its very polished in its weigh, My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a blessing. It freeze yew lodes of thyme. It helps me right awl stiles two reed, And aides me when aye rime.

Each frays come posed up on my screen Eye trussed too bee a joule. The checker pours o'er every word To cheque sum spelling rule.

Bee fore a veiling checkers Hour spelling mite decline, And if we're laks oar have a laps, We wood bee maid too wine.

Butt now bee cause my spelling Is checked with such grate flare, There are know faults with in my cite, Of nun eye am a wear.

Now spelling does not phase me, It does knot bring a tier. My pay purrs awl due glad den With wrapped words fare as hear.

To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should be proud, And wee mussed dew the best wee can, Sew flaws are knot aloud.

Sow ewe can sea why aye dew prays Such soft wear four pea seas, And why eye brake in two averse Buy righting want too please.

[source unknown]

--

Reply to
dpb

---------------------------- Magnets make short work of ferrous metal.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

--------------------------------- Another one you can add to the list courtesy of Ron Force.

Enjoy

Lew

--------------------------------

*Spell Checker Poem*

I have a spelling checker - It came with my pee cee It plane lee marks four my revue Miss steaks aye can knot sea

Eye ran this poem threw it, Your sure reel glad two no. Its vary polished in it's weigh - My checker tolled me sew.

A checker is a bless sing. It freeze yew lodes of thyme. It helps me awl stiles two reed, And aides me when aye rime.

To rite with care is quite a feet Of witch won should be proud. And wee mussed dew the best wee can, Sew flaws are knot aloud.

And now bee cause my spelling Is checked with such grate flare, Their are know faults with in my cite; Of non eye am a wear.

Each frays come posed up on my screen Eye trussed to be a joule. The checker poured o'er every word To cheque sum spelling rule.

That's why aye brake in two averse By righting wants too pleas. Sow now ewe sea why aye dew prays Such soft wear for pea seas!

Ron Force Moscow Idaho USA

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

They're lucky to have a teacher like you!

Reply to
Swingman

I'd guess most everyone here who read that had a similar thought.

Bill

Reply to
Bill

Which blade are you using and when cutting plywood, how far do you drop the blade below the bottom of the ply? Have you cut melamine with it yet?

Reply to
Robatoy

Tends to bring out the comedian.

Reply to