Thought experiment

Price aside, I wonder how the Domino would have gone over some fifty years ago? Think that period would have preceeded biscuit joiners too for the most part. Guess dowelling would have been the order of the day. I've been playing with my my Domino several times a week. Haven't used it to build anything yet, but there's a number of examples of pieces of wood 'invisibly' held together around my place. It sure has plenty of toy value built into it.

Reply to
Dave

If you're really interested in a working depth of cut, there's several comments dealing with suitable depth of cuts in the Festool Owner's Group. Anyone interested can sign on as a guest, they don't need to be a Festool owner to read or make comments. Mucho information there about many tools, not just Festool brand.

Reply to
Dave

The standard issue blade thus far. One click of the height adjustment past the stock (1mm?). Nope, no melamine.

Reply to
Swingman

Very true. I am glad I know how to do more with less, but I am much more pleased to be able to do more with more.

I like brad guns, compound miter saws, cordless drills and the like. I will use any tool (within reason!) that will make the job go faster, easier, turn out a better job, or make me money.

Most of my work is remodel and repair. That's my preferred bailiwick. And as in most lines of work, the most important (and most underused tool) that a worker has is his open mind.

Wow.... getting a little preachy here....

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Last time my mind was a bit too open, somebody tried to throw teabags in it. Loose leaf green, sure... but bags?

Ooops

Proper skills and tooling and the experience to see a solution to a customer's problem plus the ability to package that solution in an attractive package...and THEN selling it, and Bob's your uncle.

Reply to
Robatoy

So you are saying you chip up the wood with some nails still in it, and get out the metal with magnets after it has been chipped up?

Reply to
Morgans

"Lobby Dosser" wrote

A good typo brings out the comedian, no doubt.

I wonder what a good pun brings out?

I've never been able to figure out what _that_ type of critter should be called!

In another group I have frequented for many years, I have seen pun threads (they didn't start out as such, but soon changed into that) that have gone on for over a week, with well over a hundred posts.

It is amazing as to the depths of depravity to which they can descend!

Reply to
Morgans

--------------------------------- That's one approach.

Maybe they use a hammer mill instead of a chipper.

Those are engineering details I leave to others.

It's not rocket science.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Hissing!

Reply to
Lobby Dosser

There's no such thing as a 'good' pun. Only bad ones, and "truly terrible" ones. The distinction is that the former don't work, and the latter elicit groans (and worse).

Frequently something unprintable -- assuming you mean the perpetrator thereof.

Actually, one of the shop teachers at the high school I went to was an accomplished practitioner of that particular low art, and, in consequence, the ones that produced significant reactions were known as "Groenert"s.

(Note: although it is an example of the art form itself, it is the strict truth. It's not a case of 'life imitates Art' ,either -- hist fist name was Walter.)

Typos can lead to some really humorous threads, too. A number of years ago, in a 'home automatin' newsgroup, somebody _meant_ to ask about one of those weapons for reading UPC symbols and the like -- a 'bar code reader'. Unfortunately, he transposed te 2nd and 3rd letters of the first word. THAT hilarity went on for over two weeks, with comments ranging from the possible use for a long-range laser-powered one, for use at the beach, to a suggestion that this was an 'inappropriate use of technology' - some things were *MEANT* to be 'done manually'. As I recall, the thread ended when some genius opined that 'the accuracy of a bra-code reader is inversely proportional to the amount of free mammary.'

Not really. Praved roads are not well-suited for the formation of puns. We tend to go off the beaten track, onto macadam, gravel and other less- travelled routes. In _those_ situations, it's much easier to "make the pun-ishment fit the grime".

I've come up with my share of truly terrible ones, but for sheer creativity, I haven't seen anything that comes close to one that showed up in a high- end (i.e., Sunday NY Times level) _crossword_puzzle_, back in the 1970s. The answer was 16 characters long, and the clue read "Warning for Macbeth to flee as Burnham Wood advanced upon Dunsinane."

The solution turned out to be:

C H E E S E I T T H E C O P S E

As such things go, it's a brilliant construct -- an exact phonetic match.

OTOH, I'm not sure _what_ to think of the warped mind that came up with the Shakespeare connection.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

Yes you have.

*respectfully tipping my hat*

An accomplished punster can clear a room.

Reply to
Robatoy

There are only two types of puns: coughers and groaners. Bad puns aren't worthy of much response, so you cough and pretend you didn't hear it. Good puns bring groans to your lips in a hurry.

-- Not merely an absence of noise, Real Silence begins when a reasonable being withdraws from the noise in order to find peace and order in his inner sanctuary. -- Peter Minard

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Another reply that needs to be saved to the archives.

Excellent.

Reply to
Pat Barber