Discussion: Describe your shop!

Hey guys..it's time we get back on track with some good old woodworking talk. Tell us what you have in your shop. Power tools..hand tools..wood stock..shop dog..etc.

What do you want to add to your shop?

What collects the most dust?

On average, how many hours a week do you spend in the shop?

Reply to
Art Finkelstein

I didn't think I had that much in my gar^H^H^H, errr shop until I was adding up everything to get ready for a proper arranging. As far as stationary (or at least quasi-stationary) tools go, I have a 10" Delta contractor's saw, a

13" Delta planer, a Delta DJ-20 jointer, a floor-standing Delta drill press, a 14" Jet bandsaw, a HF mortiser, a Bosch 10" SCMS, and a Jet dust collector. Add to that a couple of routers, biscuit jointer, ECE smoothing plane, chisels, Kreg jig, etc.

About 400 square feet.

The dust collector.

I'd guess about 5 or 6. That's going to go up soon as I'm committed to building a table for a friend in the next several weeks.

todd

Reply to
Todd Fatheree

wood

snip

too few. SWMBO is getting worried she encouraged me to spend too much on tools that aren't getting much use. When summer comes, I spend my time doing other things. I don't want to be cooped up in my shop.

dave

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

A Jet 10" contractor's saw, Dremel 1671 and 1680 scroll saws, Hitachi miter saw, Tradesman 8" drill press, Craftsman 6" bench grinder, and added in the last 2 days, Grizzly 14" bandsaw, Grizzly 12.5" planer, and a Craftsman 4" belt, 6" disc sander. As far as hand tools, a couple of routers, couple of planes, and the usual suspects. As for wood stockI have Oak (red and white), Cherry, lots of Pine and Aspen, Poplar, Finnish birch ply, and various odds and ends. I also have several dozen board feet of 125 yr. old maple tongue and groove that I'm waiting for the right project for.

A jointer and a mortiser. Right now, the biggest dust collector is the bench grinder. I spend somewhere around 20 hours a week in the workshop (mostly scrolling).

The thing that surprises me (being relatively new to having a real workshop) about all of this is that virtually every power tool I own gets used on just about every project.

Kevin Daly

Kevin Daly

Now that I know What you have and about when you're in your shop, I'll do an online search to find out where you live (using your email properties) and have someone drop by to clean out, errr, clean up your goodies!!

Reply to
nsum

It's more of a 9'x7' closet in the corner of a basement than a proper shop. 63 spacious square feet! I've ended up with more stuff that will fit or can be used in that space, so the drill press, bandsaw, and planer are out in the main basement area right next to the washer and dryer. Someday, I'll put the DP in the shop and move the bench grinder into the main basement area.

Luckily (or unluckily - depending on your POV), I don't have a SWMBO, so I can get sawdust all over the clean laundry without catching an earful. Then again, maybe I'd get a SWMBO if my clothes weren't always covered in sawdust .

Here are pretty much all my tools, in rough order from most to least used:

-Pencil

-Starret Square Rule (Buy once, cry once)

-Late 60s Craftsman floorstanding drill press

-Late 60s B&D 7 1/2" RAS

-15" Grizzly Bandsaw

-PC 7518 router in a homemade table

-13" Rigid Planer

-Mitutoyo Dial Calipers

-A heart-shaped chunk of 8/4 walnut about 5" in diameter cut from the inside of a heart-shaped box that I use for a mallet.

-Rulers and Straightedges

-Knight Jointer, Knight Smoother, Knight Jack

-Chisels

-Tape Measure

-PC 690 router with fixed and plunge bases (694VK)

-Bench Grinder mounted on a steel stand my Dad made for me.

-Scroll Saw

-Skil Saw

-Broom and Dustpan

-Delta 37-070 benchtop jointer

For woodstock, I have a handful of cherry, highly figured curly maple (fiddleback?), ash, and generic mahogany. Under the workbench, there is a big box full of small exotic scraps (cocobolo, rosewood, bloodwood, purpleheart, ebony, etc) that are real nice to use for little things like handles, inlays, and accents. Lastly there is two trees worth of air dried black walnut in various thicknesses from 4/4 to 16/4 that I got for free. Beep beep!

A tablesaw would be great, but there is absolutely no room. In lieu of that, a disk/belt sander (useful) or a Leigh Dovetail jig (fun) would be nice.

That Delta jointer. I'd rather use a grapefruit spoon to flatten and square lumber.

In the summer, when I have an enjoyable project in the works, around 20. In the winter here in Minnesota, it is much too cold to spend any length of time in the unheated basement.

-Rick

Reply to
Rick Nelson

18" scrollsaw, drill-drivers by Grizzly, B&D, Skil, Ryobi 10" drillpress, cheap chisels, homebuilt wood lathe, cheap lathe chisels etc.

Have fun y'all. Joe

Reply to
KB8QLR

Here is a list of tool, pretty much in the sequence I bought them. My shop in in an oversized one car garage. I had a cheap Craftsman saw and router that have been given away. Total value is $7063.

As for time in the shop, maybe an hour or two in a couple of evenings, five or six on a good weekend. None in the very cold months.

Drill Press, Delta 10"

Router, Dewalt 621Plunge

Saw, Delta 10" 36-431 w/30" Biesemeyer fence Accu Miter 24" Jet 14" Band saw JWBS-14CS Dewalt biskit joiner Chisel set, 4 pc. Marples Freud 10" blade 80T Heater, Reddy propane 30k Btu Tanks, 20# propane (2) Sander, Ridgid Oscillating belt Cut off hand saw, Stanley Drill bits, Assorted PC brad nailer & compressor Jesada Router Bits Vice for Drill press Clamps, 12" Quick grip Clamps, Bessey 24" (2) Clamps, Bessey K 31" Ruler, Centering Ruler, 6" Combination square 7" Scraper Burnishing Tool Sander, PC Random Orbit Back Saw, Crown tools Compass Marking knife Stanley #92 infill plane Norton Sharpening Stones Smoothing Plane Veritas sharpening guide Fence Caddy Delta Planer 22-580 Marking gauge Jet Dust Collector DC-1100 Dust collector fitting for Planer Router table Router table casters Ryobi cordless drill and circular saw Freud 10" blade Router bits Timberwolf Re-saw blades (bandsaw) Router, Bosch 1617EVS Circle cutting Fixture Long Ranger switch DeWalt Compound Miter Saw DeWalt R O S Bench Dog drawers Bench Dog Pro Lift AL Woodhaven Shelf Pin Jig Vix bit for above Bostitch staple gun Quick Crank Delta Mortising Machine Delta Tenoning Fixture Ridge Carbide 10" Combo blade Ridge Carbide Dado blade 8" Magnetic Featherboard Clamps, 24" Bessey K Clamps, 36" Bessey F Clamps, 12" Bessey deep throat Block Plane, low angle Lee Valley

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Grizzly 1044Z table saw, 14" band saw, Craftsman drill press, Craftsman router, Craftsman miter saw and several small hand tools.

Permanency and size : ) I am in a two car garage which I have taken over most of because 1/2 is filled with the boat I am building. Being a military family, we move every 2-3 years so I never know what space I'll be working with next. I am also undecided if I should get a DC system, a planer, a jointer or a high-quality hand plane next.

The drill press, but most of my projects have not been real sophisticated yet.

A few, when I am not out at sea.

Wr, Tim

Reply to
Tim Rohrer

The best part is, none of them are gay.

Oops! We may have just made this one (this thread) jump the tracks.

Sorry Art.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

My Shop:

484 Sq/Ft, 95% dedicated to woodworking. 120 Sq/Ft shed, dedicated to everything else, yard care, camping, storage. T.S. Rockwell Unisaw 34-761 (ca '85), 3 HP, added Biesemeyer Commercial 30". D.P. Rockwell/Delta 11-280 (ca?), 32" radial, a benchtop on the original steel floor stand. B.S. Rockwell/Delta 28-280 (ca?), metal/wood cutting, 14" (need to add a riser) Belt Sander Rockwell 31-520 (ca '75), 6 x 48" Jointer, 6 x 48" Transpower (ca '88) Lathe 12 x 36" Walker Turner, no model number, but it's NOT their Driver Line D.C. Jet 1100 Hegner 14" scrollsaw Dewalt 733 Planer Tormek wet grinder Delta B.O.S.S. Shop Dog #1, Samantha, Yellow Lab Shop Dog #2, Buddy, Golden Retriever

Wanted: Drum sander (Performax), Lathe (Oneway)

I did not set out to collect old Rockwell Delta, but jumped on opportunities and the shop has a lot of old gray right now. Nice thread Art, thanks.

Reply to
Pounds on Wood

Unisaw, 1997 vintage, 3 hp, Mule Accusquare fence Walker-Turner 15" drill press, 1940's Bosch 3315 SCMS Delta 31-250 18" drum sander (FOR SALE) Delta Platinum 14" BS w/ riser Delta Homecraft 11" lathe (1940's) Walker-Turner Light-Heavyweight shaper w/ 1/2" and 3/4" spindles (1950's) Craftsman 24" scroll saw, 1940's Craftsman (Atlas) 10" benchtop tilting arbor saw, 1938 vintage Delta 4" disc/4x36 belt sander Porter-Cable pancake compressor and various P-C nailers old Shop-Vac Sprunger 6" jointer (1950's) Delta air cleaner Recently sold small 1HP dust collector and Delta 22-560 planer lots of handheld power tools, mostly Bosch lots of neanderthal tools, old Stanley planes, nothing collectible.

No shop dog, one shop cat who plays with sawdust.

Wood stock - at last estimate,

7500 board feet of pine, 4/4, 5/4, 6/4 and some timbers 1700 board feet white ash, 4/4 and 5/4 1900 board feet cherry, 4/4 and 5/4 200 board feet soft maple 250 board feet hard maple 200 board feet butternut 300 board feet basswood, 6/4 250 board feet apple, 6/4, most 8"+ wide 800-1000 board feet mixed species, including purpleheart, bloodwood, goncalo alves, hickory, aromatic cedar, hackberry, canarywood, white oak, red oak, poplar, and black walnut.

Most of the first five are going to be incorporated into my new house as floors, cabinets and trim, so that'll all go away within six to eight months.

A Woodmaster 725 4-in-1 machine, and an Oneida cyclone. It will all go in the new shop. Existing shop is 11 x 22, new shop will be 20 x 32 with 10' ceilings and lumber loft space.

All of it, until I get the new shop built. That won't be until next summer, after my new house is built.

Right now, about 1. I'd like to be in there 10-20 hours, but no time.

Jon E

Reply to
Jon Endres, PE

I have a walk-out basement shop with double-wide doors that open to a

6-foot opening. I'm lucky to have a large window where I use the natural light for sharpening tools. My shop is about 30 feet by 20 feet, concrete floor, drywalled with a large baseboard. I have 6 120v and one 240v circuits (3 outlets). I have a PM55, DJ-20, Delta bandsaw and drill press, Makita surface planer, Makita Japanese water stone sharpener, Cross cut station with compound Dewalt, shop-built router table, a variable-speed Conover lathe, and a Penn-State 1.5HP DC with remote. I have most hand tools. I want to add a quality low-angle block plane, quality chisels, 1/2" router bits, a mortising machine, several chair-making tools and better dust collection. I probably use my dovetail template the least, as I now really enjoy making handcut dovetails. I have three workbenches, the main one is 7 foot by 3 feet. I spend about 35 hours a week in my shop, sometimes more. I probably watch one hour of TV per week, but listen to radio in my shop. Woodworking is my salvation.
Reply to
Phisherman

To get back on track.. My little slice of paradise is 11X24. Half of my basement. Delta contractor saw Delta Joiner Delta Drill press Delta 18" wide drum sander Dewalt 12 inch SCMS Ridgid 13 inch thickness planer Dust collector (jet clone) Porter cable Router & table built by and donated by Dad. Old Craftsman 9" table saw with sanding disk always mounted Old Craftsman lathe- (surprised to see Ridged lathe just like it) Misc. Hand power tools Makita, Portercable, Milwaukee etc. etc. Large work bench (one of my first projects) Various old cabinetry (slowly being replaced)

The dust collector does a great job with the sander, joiner, planer. Two cats not allowed in the shop ( they like the little piles of sawdust too much) Favorite tool? I don't play favorites with my tools, I thank them equally when I turn out the lights.

Reply to
Wayne K.

Hi Art, I've been pretty lucky in life so my shops are full. I have a shop in my produce processing building for doing roughing out. I have another one in a building that is 26' X 34' that I use for finishing. Sanding, assembly and etc. All total, 21 machines. I'm able to write them off because I do R&D for several large hobby companies. I enjoy every single minute spent in them. I especially enjoy building jigs. Building outdoor furniture is sorta fun also. But, none of the above comes without a price. My wife and I work 10-12 hours per day, seven days per week. We wouldn't trade it for nothing. The scent of wood being sawn, routed, sanded or whatever, makes it all worth while. So does the end object. Thanks for the thought provoking post. I sometimes tend to forget how lucky I am to have a decent place to play with my machines and relax. Every now and then, I catch myself sometimes just holding up a piece of wood and looking at it. It seems a bit awesome as to what was created by a seed. Thanks again for the post.

PS..I also collect antique woodworking tools. That, is a real pleasure.

Reply to
Cody Hart

Slow day in the office Keeter? ;-)

Reply to
Greg Millen

Well, I am not normally given to envy other guy's tools, but this thread is an exception. I have what I like to think of as a functional shop, I keep my tools in good condition but won't hesitate to use them for rough work. The shop in general is a display case of works-in-progress (OK, it's a mess), complete with a shop dog to guard them.

My favourite tools are the LN low angle adjustable mouth block plane and a Starrett square given to me by a generous fellow wrecker who sent me along the path of ruination with his generosity (Starretts raise the bar on your tolerances).

The LN is a favourite since it 'just feels good' and transmits the 'feel' of the cut through the body. The 4" Starrett has fast become the 'user' of the shop, I can't think of a recent project it hasn't been involved in.

More time.

Me, thinking - usually.

5?
Reply to
Greg Millen

It did say weekly, right?

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

My error - I meant the length of your post.

Greg

Reply to
Greg Millen

Shop is located in a 50'x50' aircraft hanger and has a 45'x12' north-facing overhead door. Hot in summer and cold/drafty in winter. I've added a 6'x12' solar heating panel and plan to add two more.

10" Unisaw 10" Toolcraft RAS Toolcraft floor drill press Ryobi benchtop drill press Delta BOSS (spindle sander) Grizzly polisher, stand Craftsman shaper Craftsman 12" bandsaw Grizzly 6" jointer Grizzly 12.5" planer Jessum router table w/ DeWalt VS router HF DC w/ 2 LV separators in line ShopBot PRT-96 CNC router w/ Colombo spindle w/ 4' Shop-built dovetail clamp Grizzly 3 HP air compressor Grizzly scroll saw Grizzly blade grinder Ulmia, Stanley, Record, LV hand planes LV chisel set Delta (small) circular saw B&D 7-1/4" circular saw B&D router (small) PC 690 router w/ both bases Kreg jigs HF corded and cordless drills HF pneu brad nailer HF pneu drill HF metal-cutting bandsaw HF mortise machine Spray guns, hoses, etc. Various finishing sanders Various clamps Various shop-built work, assembly surfaces Shop-built metal-forming brake Shop-built materials cart Shop-built passive solar heating system Starrett square, protractor head, centering head Computer system Refrigerator, microwave, coffee pot HF 4'x8' folding trailer

Customers! Signage Rolling storage cabinets Oscillating edge sander Stroke sander More lights More electrical outlets More solar panels More insulation Product display area Permanent spray booth Partitioned (dust free) office Partitioned (dust free) CNC room High-speed internet connection

Computer keyboard, mouse ball )-:

Between 50 and 60 (-:

Reply to
Morris Dovey