The Birth Of A Dugout Canoe

18 minute video showing the difficult and time consuming process of making a traditional expanded dugout canoe using mostly traditional hand tools and techniques.

Spalted Walt

Pretty darn neat! .... the woodworking, the family & friends and the inspiration.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Wow, I thought it would take longer than 18 minutes to make a canoe. I'm going to make a few of them tomorrow morning.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Great find! Thanks for the link.

Not quite like I remember them doing it when I was young and you burnt out the inside, but still it was a beautiful job.

Remember the shredded wheat cards with projects like that separating them?

Reply to
OFWW

Pretty cool. Thanks.

Question: At about the 6 minute mark he begins to clear out the innards. You can see some pretty wide saw kerfs running both lengthwise and widthwise. I'm thinking chainsaw. Isn't that cheating? ;-)

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Nah cheating would be adapting a stump ginder.

Reply to
Markem

Just a note, but the "Guild of Northmen" is a tool company--I suspect they want you to buy all the stuff they showed that was used to make the canoe, and that they didn't show the tools that they used that they don't sell.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Same folks (new name) produced the 'Birth Of A Wooden House' video last year.

Spalted Walt

Those guys got mad skillz. I'd a cut my foot off the first time I tried to use that axe.

Reply to
J. Clarke

nice project

for smooth water only