Ponderings in the shop

Have any of you ever found yourself wondering about the tree of which the wood you are working was once a part? Whilst jointing some ash for the entertainment center drawers this afternoon, I found myself wondering where the tree had grown and what sorts of wildlife had once lived in its branches and under its shade. Had it once been a tree-stand for hunters, or had children or others once climbed it to see further into the forest? Had deer sheltered under it in a snowstorm or rain? Not really in a maudlin fashion, these musings were more of an inquisitive nature rather than anything negative. One of those more introspective things than anything else.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

A few times. I picked up some old maple a while ago. Made it into a crib for my little one. While sawing it - I sawed thru a old lead bullet. Got me wondering a bit on it. Where it came from - did it go thru anyone before it hit the tree. Was it from the civil war? Most likley some punk w/ a 22 a few years ago :)

It was pretty neat tho.

Reply to
Rob V

I don't have to wonder, I go and look at the photos I have of it, and the photos of the site as it is now.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Thanks, now I'm going to look at my Delta TS and wonder if it used to be a Ford, Datsun, Chevy or what, and if it had any memorial trips or famous drivers/riders.

Reply to
FMB

I made some picture frames for my kids from a pear tree I had to 'put down'. We had picnics under that tree. That tree fed thousands of birds the sweetest pears, and oh, the millions of darting wasps it attracted.... stop me before I blubber....

Seriously, I do think it is healthy to stop and think sometimes. Just do not stop and think where that water in your beer may have been...okay?

Rob

Reply to
Sandman

More evidence that you should always use a respirator and have good ventilation when using lacquer! ;^)

BW

Actually, as a ute I used to get interesting day dreams coming from all the smells that came out of the pine I was cutting at the furniture factory job.

Reply to
Bill Wallace

nope... and I don't think of the steer that my steak is made of, either... you get your head wrapped around stuff like that, you're going to be gluing styrofoam for a hobby because you don't want to hurt any more trees.. *g*

Reply to
mac davis

You should of been thinking about the tool you were using and leave the deep thoughts for when the tools are off. Prime example of how injuries happen.

Chris Melanson

Reply to
Chris Melanson

Every newsgroup needs a mother.

Reply to
mp

Eh, I think you're being over-dramatic. And I _know_ you're top-posting.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Apparently I'm not the only one to have thought about dinosaur piss... A book I read in 4th grade (c 1967) said that every time you take a breath you're breathing in 3 molecules of air that Leonardo da Vinci breathed. ;-) Ponder that for awhile.

-- Mark

Reply to
Mark Jerde

What about the poor doe-eyed dinosaurs that died and became the oil the styrofoam was made out of?

But seriously,

I have heard a Native American (dugout) canoe maker say that he was making a canoe to honor the tree and celebrate all the years it had been part of the forest. He was using all his skill and art to make something beautiful and useful from the tree's gift of its wood that would be appreciated by his children and grandchildren.

Reply to
Charles Erskine

Only once it crossed my mind. I was cutting some cherry that came from Pennsylvania. I found some lead shot in it, well below the surface. It most have been in there for at least five or ten years, maybe more. I wondered if it was used as a backstop for target practice, or if some pheasant was flushed from the brush or whatever.

I still have a piece of that cherry on the bench. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I used to when growing up on the farm. It was the ones that got out all the time, usually when we were busy with something else, that graced our table so there was some poetic justice in eating them. ;-)

Nah, I'm not headed toward tree-hugger status. Besides, I'd hate to reduce the supply of the endangered styrofoams.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

... and what makes you think I wasn't? I can assure you, I am very aware of the whirling bits of steel.

Amazing,some folks can turn anything into a lecture.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Demonstrating your keen sense of direction?

Reply to
CW

Alright - I'm warning you... that was a full cup of coffee...

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Putting the important information above the drivel.

Reply to
George

No, pointing out that it screws up normal communication style. You don't talk upside-down, why write that way?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

I think the breed is "styro's" but I'm not sure..

Reply to
mac davis