Fastest Growing Trees

We have 8 bare acres in Illinois and want some shade trees. In your experience what is the fastest growing tree that might give use some shade. I've planted hybrid poplars and silver maples before and have been satisfied with them. Are there other candidates I should be looking at?

Thanks, Dale

Reply to
Dale McSwain

Heres a link I have never seen trees like these before. You will have to order them on the internet though.

in the Frozen North, zone 5

Reply to
Chuckie

Chuckie, that fast growing tree is a trash tree that is worse than Mimosa about spreading all over the place. It not only drops hundreds of seed pods that make more trees, but puts up new trees from the roots all over the place, sometimes 40 to 50 foot from the closest parent tree. In Georgia we call it cottonwood because the blooms, which also are very messy, look like wads of cotton when the pile up on the ground.

Tom J

Reply to
Tom J

Quite often the fastest growing trees are the weakest and more prone t damage and falling over

-- golddog

Reply to
golddog

Home Depot sells them here.

Reply to
Travis M.

The Thuja that is.

Reply to
Travis M.

The Thuja Green Giant's conical habit needs no shearing or pruning, though you can trim it to desired size if you don't want it to grow to more than 60 feet tall, 10 to 12 feet wide. Do to its large size, it is only practical in yards with lots of room. Tolerant of heavy ice and snow loads as well as heat, humidity, and even drought (once established in the garden), it is clothed all the way to the ground in thick, fragrant, deep green foliage year-round. One of the best features of Green Giant is its lack of appeal to deer. A hungry herd will eventually nibble it if desperate, of course -- starving deer will eat anything -- but it's one of their last choices, making it a suitable perimeter planting to keep deer out of your garden. Plusses: big and fast growing Minuses: big and fast growing

Paulownia tomentosa "Empress Tree or Princess Tree"

This plant can grow to 40 - 60 feet tall and an equal spread and the leaves can be 12 inches across or more. Although paulownia has attractive clusters of purple flowers in May, the leaves have no desirable color in autumn before they turn brown and drop to the ground. This weedy tree is recognized as an invasive exotic plant by conservation agencies. Its messy fruit produces a multitude of tiny seeds that blow in the wind and the result is thousands of unwanted seedlings that compete with native vegetation. Give it lots of room! Don't expect to be able to grow anything under it. The U.S. Forest Service warns against planting them near a forest. They should only be planted in parks and urban areas where their spread can be contained. As one would expect from such a fast growing tree, the wood is brittle. Parts of the plant are poisonous if ingested. Plusses: big and fast growing Minuses: messy and invasive

Reply to
Stephen Henning

WOW!!! thanks for saying that "tom j" cuz that's just what i was wanting for my 2 acres of NOTHINGNESS near klamath. i had been considering the "golden rain" locust tree (NOT golden chain), but those are REALLY obnoxious.....anything whose seeds will grow through that red lava rock they use for landscaping.....translates to: TROUBLE

at least these fast growing trees chuckie posted about are pretty in purple. ;o}

Reply to
frogfog