Resetting Full Extension Drawer Slides? - Knape & Vogt

A couple of years ago I built new drawers for my stick built kitchen cabinets. I used these G-Series Knape & Vogt slides:

I also used Swingman's mounting method:

Now, I don't use the full extension feature very often, but it's nice to have when needed. What I have found is that every now and then a drawer (and it has happened to all of them) will stop about an inch less than full extension when normal pulling tension is applied. A stronger pull will open the drawer that final inch. After that, the drawer will open fully with no extra effort needed. This will last a few months and then it'll stop that 1" short of full again and require the extra effort.

It's no big deal, just a curiosity. (On the other hand, I know they will open further, but other's may not.) In any case, is it normal that these slides need to be "reset" every now and in order for them to open fully? As I mentioned, it has happened to every one of them (8) at one time or another.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Pretty much the nature of the beast. The little ball bearing carriage tends to work its way forward or backward in the cabinet side of the slide assembly. When it does that it reaches the end of its free travel and you have to force it back into its more mid positioning. I have had this happen with Accuride, KV and the G-Slide KV full extension slides.

What seems to help is having a slightly looser fit to begin with, the opening width and back a hair over 1" wider than the sides of the drawer.

Reply to
Leon

The last sentence should have read, 1" wider than the width of the drawer.

Reply to
Leon

Well, that ain't gonna happen. ;-) Too late now but I'll keep that in mind the next time I install slides.

Thanks.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

You can narrow the drawers slightly with a TS blade. On the bottom of the sides, front to back, Just shave off enough to clear the slides, you do not have to do the whole side.

Reply to
Leon

Thanks again.

Reply to