Stanley #12 Blade Subs

I've been eyeing some Stanley #12 veneer scrapers on ebay. A lot of them don't come with blades, and original blades seem to be hard to come by. Does anyone know whether a regular scraper can be made into an acceptable substitute for these planes? I know these are collectors items, but I think I'd actually use one of these if I could get my hands on one.

Thanks!

Reply to
Anthony Glass

Ron Hock sells blades for the #12 and #112.

You want the #SB112 blade.

Note his are quite a bit thicker than a regular card hand scraper blade.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

Reply to
DIYGUY

got an old saw laying around? you have 3 maybe 4 good scraper blades right there. cut them square, file down the edge (90 or 45*), hone them and burnish a burr. I have a scraper fetish and always keep 10 or 15 blades around with different burr angles. These things can't be beat for taming wild grain and most any kind of smoothing.

walt q in COLD Connecticut

Reply to
walt

No it can't - far too thin. One of the benefits to using a #12 is this thick scraper, and the resultant avoidance of chatter (see below). You really do need this thick blade, or you might as well use a #80.

On the whole though, I never use my #12's. The "broomstick" handle just doesn't work. To avoid the whole bed of the plane chattering, you have to keep an appreciable pressure downwards on it. This is OK for a short stroke, but a long stroke will amost inevitably start to chatter at the ends of it. A #112 OTOH, is basically the same scraper setup, but with fore-and-aft handles. For scraping a large surface, this is a _much_ better plane.

If you need a brand new iron, Hock do them. I'm not a great fan, as they're square-cornered rather than tombstone-shaped and you don;t get enough finger clearance. Lee Valley are now doing a #112 repro (L-N have done one for a while) and the blades for these should be available separately.

I also find it useful to have a couple of #12 / #112 scraper blades to hand, both crowned and uncrowned.

If you're looking to but a scraper plane like this, given the extortionate cost of an old one, then I'd look very hard at the Lee Valley #112.

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy, Andy, Andy....

Ours is definitely not a "repro".... ;)

Cheers -

Rob

Reply to
Rob Lee

Thank goodness for that ! I've an _old_ #112 and it's a piece of junk. The Lee-Valley version is (assumedly - I've not seen one) as well made as the rest of your products, and I can see some design changes to it that were obvious to me the moment I dismantled my own original and tried to make the cursed thing work right.

But it's still more use than my #12

-- Smert' spamionam

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Andy, I have 2 #112's set up for different cuts..once you get the angle of the burr set...bob's yer uncle. If you want to get rid of that ugly thing though..let me know. Rob, next purchase for me is your new improved scraper plane..I particularly like the added feature that enables you to bow the blade. Like having the best of the 112 and the #80 combined. great job

walt q in cold cold Connecticut

Reply to
walt