Stanley Planes

I bought 2 planes, via EBay, that were advertised as originals, not reproductions. I received them today and they sure look good, too good. There is no old age look to them, at all, and all metal looks too fine: with sharp, crisp edges, very clean metal and the screws are not worn anywhere, etc. Quite frankly, I think they are reproductions, not originals.

Has anyone experienced similar results? Are reproductions readily available from Stanley, or someone other than Stanley? I was thinking of purchasing 2 more, but now I'm hesitant.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

You do know that Stanley makes nice, new planes, right?

dadiOH

word "nice" ... intimated strongly that Veritas, and others, were a much better buy.

Reply to
Swingman

dadiOH wrote: : Sonny wrote: :> I bought 2 planes, via EBay, that were advertised as originals, not :> reproductions. I received them today and they sure look good, too :> good. There is no old age look to them, at all, and all metal looks :> too fine: with sharp, crisp edges, very clean metal and the screws are :> not worn anywhere, etc. Quite frankly, I think they are :> reproductions, not originals. :>

:> Has anyone experienced similar results? Are reproductions readily :> available from Stanley, or someone other than Stanley? I was thinking :> of purchasing 2 more, but now I'm hesitant. :>

:> Sonny

: You do know that Stanley makes nice, new planes, right? :

's the old, everyone-agrees-are-junky Stanley planes. The new line are completely redesigned, and have gotten good early press, though I have not seen a complete review anywhere yet.

Here's a better link to the new line:

all turned up on a google search for "woodworking new stanley planes".

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

To each their own :) but the point I was trying to make to the OP is that there is no reason for the planes he purchased to look old. He was trying to differentiate between "original" and "reproductions"...possibly he thought he was buying antiques? Dunno, he didn't say.

Reply to
dadiOH

Thanks for the replies and info. Good links.

I'm aware new planes are available. The Ebay ad described the items as old, not antiques. The described defects were as if they were defective because of old age and/or use. I don't think the planes have ever been used. One did have a few pieces of wood under the iron, but it didn't look like a normal shaving. The rust defects are from being stashed in a humid area and it's only minor surface rust. I think I've been had, as for as purchasing old Stanley tools. I have several planes that are at least 20yrs old and these show their age.

The purchased planes came from different seller names, which doesn't mean different sellers. Their descriptions (defects, etc) were similar and the planes' conditions look similar, too.

With regard to my initial post, I wasn't sure about some of what I was seeing (the planes, once I received them), as compared to a refurbished/reground plane. And, I guess, I wasn't sure exactly what I needed to ask. My initial impression was I was sold a newer plane, not an old one, and I've concluded this to be the case. This goes to show I need to ask any seller specific questions before buying. And now I know, thanks to the links provided, a few specifics I can ask about.

Hope my experience helps others, here. Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I don't know that what you think is your experience is in fact your experience. Unless you were buying a rarer example of an older Stanley there is not much money to be made in knocking off a plane. Post some pictures on one of the free hosting sites and post the links back here. Or you could post links to the auctions themselves (or similar ones from the same sellers). Let's take a look at what you have.

RicodJour

On Tue, 28 Jul 2009 08:35:17 -0400, the infamous "dadiOH" scrawled the following:

metal. Sadness overwhelms me as I caress my #4-1/2's lovely patina, thinking of what the makers now turn out...

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Stanley doesn't appear to have their "nice new planes" on their web site. Try here:

Scott Lurndal