Stanley planes question

OK, so I was doing the rummage sale thing last night, and bought a couple of hand planes. I'm not sure if I should keep 'em, sell 'em to someone who would understand/appreciate them more, or if it's worth the bother. Here's the details:

  1. Stanley No. 220
  2. Stanley No 6, marked "BAILEY" up by the front knob.

They both look true, and need cleaning but don't seem to present anything that I know of as a problem. Is this the sort of thing that's highly sought after, or are they just average quality planes that I should clean up to use?

The reason I ask, is that if it's something particularly special (the Bailey, maybe, if either of them) that it'd be better with someone who would apreciate it more than I would.

Also, was 30 bucks too much to pay for the pair of 'em?

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Well, the #220 is pretty commom, can pick them up easily for $10......the #6 if in good shape go for $40 to $80.....according to my pocket guide for Stanley Tools,..by John Walter....... either one can be found easily.....$30 is not to much for both. ...... But you can check plane date at:

this helps, George......

Reply to
George Berlinger

Nice drive-by. If you don't have them already in your collection keep them.

in Fairfax

Reply to
dave in fairfax