3/4" drywall screws

I can't seem to find 3/4" drywall screws anymore. Does anyone know of a chain or someplace around the Mpls/St. Paul area that sells them? I can only find the crappy, strip-with-one-use shiny wood screws which aren't nearly as good, or 1" drywall.

Reply to
Ben

FWIW, I've never been able to find them. Of course, even 1/4" drywall (when you can find that) works better with a longer screw. Just wanted to let you know that it seems like a difficult thing to find. Good luck.

Reply to
igor
1 1/4 is about the shortest drywall screws I see around here. I usually use sheet metal screws for everything. They seem harder than wood screws and still have a pretty good bite.
Reply to
Greg

maybe im not understanding what you are doing, but if you have 1/2 inch drywall, that leaves 1/4" to go into the stud. not enough.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Dry wall comes as thin as 1/4"

Reply to
Leon

On 19 Jun 2004 12:39:49 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (Ben) calmly ranted:

Maybe McFeely's?

Ray. You gotsk?)

If not, they have flathead square drives which should work.

FWIW, I've never seen anything other than coarse 1-5/8" and fine 1-1/4" in a drywall screw.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Reply to
Fred

so you got 1/2" now. personally i would feel better with just a bit more.

in any case, assuming a 2x4 stud with a 1" hole in the center for electic, thats still 1-1/4" you can go into the stud without worries of hitting anything. the guy said he could find 1 inchers which would be fine also.

and like i said, maybe im not understanding the situation. there really isnt any need to use 3/4" drywall screws under 'normal' circumstances.

randy

Reply to
xrongor

Maybe you are misunderstanding the situation. 1/4" sheetrock is use in curved walls and curves in the walls are often shaped with 3/4" thick material like 1x4's. Typically a fastener only needs to be 3 times the length of the material that it is supporting.

Reply to
Leon

don't cam out like dry wall screws and easily over drive into sheetrock.

Reply to
Leon

Fred - Excellent point. I buy 3" "drywall screws" but not to use with drywall. When I commented above about also having looked for 3/4" drywall screws, it was not for drywall. My focus, and maybe OP's, is a screw head that will hold the bit well and not easily strip. Dywall screw. Doggie bag. Simple terms, broader meanings.

As for the McFeelys link Larry Jaques provided, it says squarehead but the image looks like Phillips.

Reply to
igor

Reply to
Lumberjack

Yes they do, but they shouldn't.

Nova

Lowe's stocks screws in clear plastic bulk boxes that they call: Hardboard screws, they are a golden brass color even though they are steel. They work about as good as drywall screws. They come in several lengths under one inch. They cost as much for a hundred as a pound of DW screws.

Bill Turpin in WNC mountains

Reply to
Bill Turpin

I bought a handfull at my local True Value hardware store. The were labled "cabinet screws" but looked just like drywall screws and they were not cheap.

Roger Poplin dba snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
RKP51X

Dang!! $1.85 for just ONE screw??? :-)

Reply to
NoOne N Particular

I have purchased them at Menards in the past - but it has probably been a year or more since the last time I got a box.

Reply to
Dan Oelke