Staining Oak to Cherry Question

Hi,

I want to stain a entertainment cabinet made of light oak and oak veneer to look more like cherry.

I just tried a test run with Minwax Cherry 235 stain but I found that the wood didn't absorb much of the stain after 15 mins.

The oak has a natural finish on it now. I've only used furniture oil on it. I also tried rubbing the wood with paint thinner first, but i got the same results.

Does anyone have a suggestion on how I might improve my results? Different stain? Different approach?

Regards, Joe

Reply to
Joe Blow

JGS

Hi JG,

Thanks for the reply.

The oil I was using was Formsby's lemon oil.

I will give your suggestion a try in a test spot.

Appreciated!

Regards, Joe

Reply to
Joe Blow

Paint it red.

Reply to
Silvan

The short answer is, that it doesn't matter *what* he does, oak ain't gonna look like cherry. Period.

Doug Miller

Paint it red sounds like the best suggestion.

I think I'll live with it in oak until I make one in cherry.

Thanks to all who responded.

Regards, Joe

Reply to
Joe Blow

You might try a "redwood" deck stain. That has a lot more red pigment than cherry stain.

Reply to
Greg

I was wondering about the Min-Wax Red Mahogany

Reply to
Lawrence A. Ramsey

I guess it's posible to make it look "more like" cherry, but oak is not going to look like cherry no matter what kind of stain you put on it.

Reply to
Lawrence Wasserman