A good book on furniture finishings...

Hi,

I'm looking for a good book on wood furniture finishings. The most encompassing the better. Which are your recommendations?

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Faustino Dina

While Bob Flexner's book, "Understanding Wood Finishing" was my first book devoted to finishing, I prefer having both his AND "Finishes & Finishing Techniques" from Fine Woodworking, as it has chapters written by various experts in the field. Bob's book left me with a few unanswered questions that were covered in the F&FT book. But his book should be in every woodworker's library. If you spray, I'd suggest the "Spray Finishing" book by Andy Charron. I'm in the middle of that one right now and so far I'm pleased with the detail given. I ordered it from Lee Valley for $15 and have seen it at Borders also.

dave

Faust> Hi,

Reply to
Bay Area Dave

Yes, agree, those are good, and I'd also add "Hand Applied finishes" by Jeff Jewitt (I think he's the author)

Barry Lennox

Reply to
Barry Lennox

No, I need something specialized on hand finishing

Thanks for your replay Faustino

Reply to
Faustino Dina

Jeff is the author of that and others. Has a spraying book out next year. I visit his forum at least one daily and have learned a lot there and his video cleared up French Polishing problems.

also has SEARCH capability.

Reply to
Nospambob1

Try "The Weekend Refinisher" and "The Wood Finisher," both by Bruce Johnson.

Jim

Reply to
PC Gameplayer