Sketchup help

Damn ... meant to add to the above before posting that if want to scale "uniformly" (all parts maintain their relative size), hold down the SHIFT key while using the scale tool.

Reply to
Swingman

I have not done that. Holding the control key limits your choices to the centers?

Reply to
Leon

Holding down the CTRL key forces the scaling "from" the center of the model/geometry you're scaling.

Try it ...

Reply to
Swingman

Hummmmmmm I scale uniform often but I don't think I hold any thing down. IIRC I just select the component, click scale, and type a number. I'll have to revisit that.

Reply to
Leon

Also, another neat trick ... if you want to flip your model upside down on the blue axis with the scale tool, instead of on the red axis as you described when mirroring:

hold the SHIFT key, start your scale, then enter -1

I don't think that one is documented, but I found it when screwing around a few years back. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Try that with a non-dynamic component, like a chair or table and you will find that the parts, not on that axis, distort/don't scale uniformly ... unless of course it is a mirror with the -1 scale factor.

With dynamic components, the programmer can hide the scaling arrows only on the axis he wants to allow scaling, say in the width of a cabinet, and then program all the components that make up the cabinet to scale appropriately with whatever scale the user chooses.

If you have one of my kitchen cabinet dynamic components, try scaling one and see.

short, if you want a totally uniform scaling of an object, that is not a dynamic component, and in all axis, hold the CTRL key down while scaling and all parts will scale and end up the same relative size.

Reply to
Swingman

OK I was FOS. I just tried what I said above and nothing happens. I must be doing this scaling with out thinking. I scaled those big airplanes without really thinking. Perhaps they were dynamic components.

Reply to
Leon

How come if you scale a cube (or similar) with a factor of -1 overand over, it will just "mosey on down the road"? I mean, in general, what does this operation do to the figure and/or its position (besides "mosey it" ; ) )?

Reply to
Bill

Doing a scale with the Scale Tool with a factor of -1, twice to the same component, and you end up with a component the same as the original with which you started ... except it is now twice the distance further along the axis you scaled on, as the width of the component. :)

Here, you may find this helpful ...(be sure to look at the other definition option links to the left of the main paragraph):

in mind that "Flip Along", in the context menu when you right click on an object, is another easy way to flip/mirror geometry, except that you must keep in mind the AXIS upon which you want to flip, when using that feature.

Many folks prefer to use Scale Tool|-1, so they don't have to trial and error to get the same results with the Flip Along feature. :)

Personally, I prefer to use "Flip Along" for most instances, like with rails and legs with mortises in them, etc.

YMMV ...

Reply to
Swingman

I never tried Flip Along. It's looks really handy for everyone designing symetrical projects.

For all the new users reading, it should be pointed out that you can do a LOT with just a few basic SU features.

Reply to
Bill

Ok , short cut hint. Thank god for CTRL Z. :-)

Move. M Copy M CTRL. Copy more than once. M CTRL distance, enter, 2,3,4...times, enter

Reply to
Leon

IMHO the more short keys that you can use the easier the program is to operate. IIRC some where in the Help there is an explanation on how to get a list of all the short cuts.

Also you can make your own or change existing short cuts.

Reply to
Leon

Window|Preference\Shortcuts

Reply to
Swingman

AND

Leon

Well try this

Leon

I'm one of those who have never used a single keyboard short cut with Sketchup ... when modeling I have both hands full with the mouse in right hand, and flying the helicopter with the SpaceNavigator in the left.

There are two short cut buttons on the SpaceNavigator that can be programmed, but I left them on the default Zoom Extent and Device Settings.

Reply to
Swingman

I don't care for having to move the cursor all over the screen. There are darn few tools that I often use that I don't have a short cut for. Although I use the mouse for choosing and applying materials.

Is there actually a select icon?

Well yes there is!! LOL

Reply to
Leon

To go a bit further with this, tools/commands that I use that do not have an icon to implement.

I have a CTRL D for giving me all dimensions of an object.

G to make a component.

And probably a few others that I am at a complete loss right now. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Now, you got to the root of the issue ... remembering what those damn keystroke shortcuts are. Gets more problematic with age, even for you young pups. ;~)

Reply to
Swingman

Oddly I know what they are when I need them, GPS. ;~) I just don't know which ones are only shortcuts and which one are icons and short cuts.

Reply to
Leon