Older Sketchup???

I've a _very_ old release; was wanting to try to get newer to do some on the house project of 'Reclaimed' subthread...unfortunately, latest Trimble link is to 2015 which won't install as don't have Win7 or newer.

Anybody (like Leon :) ) lastest version runs under XP and wouldn't happen to have the installer for that release by any chance't...

I struggled getting started way back when and gave it up...I've spent most of the day today in between other things watching the intro tutorials and think I finally begin to get the picture of how to proceed. If have to, I think I can probably make the earlier release work but I know there are a lot of enhancements since 2007...

Reply to
dpb

I have a Sketchup Make 2013 Install file, Dated 6/23/2013

And

Google Sketchup WEN 8/29/2012 Install file.

I would not use anything older.

I can email them to you if you send me an email address.

Reply to
Leon

your welcome.

Reply to
Spalted Walt

Well, I guess I gave up too quickly; another foray found SU Make 2014 link and that did install...

OK, I can now figure out how to make a 3D box to start that actually does have the dimensions of the house outline for starters...I've got two puzzlers that should be easy but can't finger out to save me...

1) The arrow keys to constrain to a given axes don't seem to function or I don't know how to make them do so...what's the trick? 2) I kept drawing a rectangle moving the cursor around until by some magic the starting face was aligned to the right axis to get the initial box. So, now to add the porch addition, how do you set a distance from one end as the start point for the next rectangle to pull out of the face??? At least, from watching videos, that seems the way to make the shape but all they do is free hand, not matching an existing/wanted specific location.
Reply to
dpb

That is a feature that you have to hold your mouth just right. ;~) I think it works best if you move the cursor in the correct direction with the blue, red, or green line showing up and then holding down the appropriate arrow key.

It is so iffy that it works much better in the latest version. Read that as improvements have been made.

I am not real certain I understand what you are trying to do but......

Can you show the link to the video that you are watching so that I can watch and understand what you are trying to do?

Reply to
Leon

Use the Tape Measure to mark the starting point.

Reply to
dadiOH

And make all items into seperate components.

Reply to
dadiOH

OK, so it's not just me, then...

The first of those at that page is as good as any, Leon.

He shows how to start by pulling a rectangle to a solid, then lay another rectangle on a face and pull to make steps, say. I grok how to control width and height on the rectangle, what I can't figure out is how to make the initial point a given, fixed distance from the vertical (blue) axis corner on the face to match position of an existing feature. It appears to me those are just freehanded or at one of the inferred locations such as midpoint or the like, not placed at a specific location.

I was able to move the added feature (his step, my entry) back and forth and get it close, but it's supposed to be 18" from the south side of the house and the distance tool is 1' 6 1/16" and I haven't the manual dexterity to get it to stop at the even inch. Somehow, there's got to be a way to specify that distance but I can't figure out how, directly, anyway.

He goes on to show raising a roof line by bisecting the area; that I see. I'm puzzling over how to effectively lay a pitched roof back to the sidewall--it's a similar problem to the above in I know the rise but not sure how to specify that length above the top of the addition (his step top) for the connection point.

Reply to
dpb

When you start drawing, length appears at the lower right of the window. To specify a length, stop drawing and just type the length, press ENTER when finished.

Reply to
dadiOH

That's on a line; I grok that. This is a start point for rectangle, though. I thought it might be smart enough to figure that out but it didn't; just the width/height. You could draw a line of the length to the point desired for a target, but that's awfully indirect; I know there has to be a way I just can't seem to find it...

Reply to
dpb

Oh. I'll have to give that a go...thnx. Hadn't seen this reply earlier...

Reply to
dpb

Be sure to turn what you have into a component before you start adding stuff to it.

Reply to
dadiOH

On 04/24/2017 9:21 AM, dadiOH wrote: ...

I'm beginning to get a crude idea, but facility is yet a _long_ way off!

So, say start with a rough cube as outline of a four-square, you're saying that should be turned into a component before adding on additions, for example?

In watching/reading more, it seems like where I was trying to create a basic box from ground to upper header height, then add a roof slanted back to wall, it may be "more easier" to instead create the total height and slice away what not wanted...but, to get eaves overhang, seems like should start with another outline...

There seem too many choices of which way to proceed... :)

I guess "time in grade" is required to figure out how to get to an endpoint.

Reply to
dpb

OK, sorry I am getting in late here... But as you master just a few skills things start progressing faster.

Yes! If your cube will be a separate part of the project you want to make it into a component so that other parts, that you may attach to it, will not become a part of it.

Note when you make a part into a component you can double/triple click it to enter into edit mode for that component if you want to change or add to it. And while in edit mode the other objects will dim and not be affected even if they are attached or touching the component.

While it takes a bit of time to draw a single component you can make countless copies of it almost instantely, ie. studs in a wall. And remember that if you make a copy or copies of a component and edit one of those components, all copies of that component will have the same changes.

If you want to only change one of the copies of the component, hilite the component, right click and choose "Make Unique". It will then be a separate component with a slightly different name that you can rename or not. I find it best to name every component as I create them so that I understand that I am working with pieces of a project, the wooden parts yu cut in your shop, instead of a bunch of lines.

Think about how you would build an actual box. First you cut the board for the front. Now draw that board and make it into a component. Second, you cut the board for the side. Now draw that board and make it into a component. Third, cut the back and other side. Now copy the front component and side components in the drawing to another spot on the drawing and move them to attach to the components that they will be attached to. In the work shop you may be gluing or nailing the components together.

It is important to remember that each piece of the box in the shop is also each component in the drawing.

There are many way to draw a particular object. You will tend to go with the way that works best for you. And then one day you will do it differently and more quickly and think, why did I not do this like this before. LOL

Reply to
Leon

No, Even today I struggle with it.

If you are asking, how do I create a separate rectangle or cube a specific direction or distance from the fitst?

First be sure to make the first rectangle or cube into a component.

Now to set the start location you can use the measure tool to create temporary lines or draw actual lines, x distance, and y distance away from the point on the original rectangle or cube.

Or after creating your first cube or rectangle component begin making another adjasent to the first. It will not stick because the first is a component. Now select all of the second rectangle or cube and type "M" for move select and move it.

You can move a specific distance from the original rectangle/cube by selecting the second cube/rectangle and clicking on a reference starting point on the original and typing in x,y distance as the distance and direction to move the second rectangle/cube.

Note: you can star any part of a drawing anywhere on the screen. You do not have to begin at the xyz axis. BUT it seem to work better for zooming if you begin in the vicinity of the xyz axis.

Also keep in mind that when your cursor gets close to the end or a mid point of a line the cursor will snap to that point. This is handy for precisely selecting reference points to move other components/objects a specific distance away or towards that point.

Has this been any help at all?

Reply to
Leon

I think I addressed this in the previous reply.

To move precisely, be sure the first and second components are adjacent, "IF" you drew the second object an arbitrary distance from the first.

Use end points or mid points on a line of the components to snap them together. Click on a corner or end point of a component and drag to an end point or corner of the other component. They should be side by side, not over laping.

Once they are together you can choose/select one and then type the move command, type "m" and drag it away from the other any amount and then type in the actual distance you want and type return to set the location.

Many way to explain how to do this but learning the basic copy and move commands should help.

Reply to
Leon

OK, thanks for the hints/pointers. I hadn't yet recognized the measuring tool was more than just informational--somehow my first foray with it was in a mode that it wouldn't accept input; not sure precisely why/how I got to the state was in as is often the case when one is "just messing"...

I'll keep pluggin' away...

Reply to
dpb

Something to consider, DON'T try to draw accurately with the mouse/cursor. Just drag the cursor in the general direction along the x,y,z axis of choice, to give direction, and then type in the exact distance and hit return.

The measure tool is great for setting up guide lines of specific distances.

Say you have a 10' x 15' rectangle, call it a wall.

You want to add a window from that is 24" from the bottom. Select the measure tool and click some where on the bottom line, not the end points, and drag from there up from the bottom line. Type in 24 and return. You will now have a dashed/dotted lay out line 24" above and parallel the the bottom.

Repeat that for the sides and top of the window.

Now you can draw a rectangle on top of the layout lines. Click on a corner of the lay out lines and drag to the opposite corner of the lay out lines. The lay out lines are not a part of the object in the drawing.

Another short cut for erasing. I never use the eraser tool, I simply hi-lite the line, lines, or component and hit the delete key. With the erase tool you have to select individual items to erase. With the delete key you simply click the item to delete and hit the delete key or click and drag a selection box over every thing you want to erase to select and then hit the delete key.

To un-do quickly press Ctrl Z. Much faster than clicking on the un-do icon.

Reply to
Leon