Compression Release: Chainsaw Engine; Where ?

Hello,

Can't seem to post to my previous question re the starting of an older Poulan chain saw. So, will try here.

Where is this "compression release" that was mentioned to check usually found on the engine ?

What does it look like ?

Thanks, B.

Reply to
Bob

Poulan doesn't use them AFAIK - at least my 18" Wild Thing saw doesn't . Did you pull the spark plug ? Did it turn over easier ?

Reply to
Terry Coombs

On four cycle engines, it's inside the engine, and you need to take the motor apart to get at it. Not sure about chain saws.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Your Poulan won't have one. Almost aLL 'Big Box store chainsaws do not, they are too small to need one.

On a saw that has one it is a button to be pushed right on top of the motor housing.

I had a saw taht was exhibiting the same thing, one time pull fine, then so hard I sometimes couldn't pull it through. Turned out to be in the starter, the cord would get stuck between the housing and rotor.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K