Sears Portalign Tool?

Can anyone out there sell me a Sears Portalign Tool. The company that made them was out of San Diego, CA, but they are out of business now. The Portalign tool is a prcision drill alignment tool for 3/8" drills.

Thanks in advance

Reply to
Cyberosity!

Friends don't let friends buy Portaligns.

There's a good reason for that...

I suppose it might be, if you have a *really* creative understanding of "precision".

I bought one about 25 years ago because I got taken in by the same "precision alignment" advertising hype. It's a piece of crap. You're *way* better off buying a cheap drill press.

Doug Miller

Get it off eBay. They're worthless and tons of them are for sale by folks. What are you planning on doing with it? I've found that it's useful for drilling holes outside, like on a contruction project or something, but if you don't need to be able to carry it with one hand just get a cheap drill press.

GTO(John)

Reply to
GTO69RA4

Go to HD and buy the General Tools version for around $39

John

out of San Diego, CA, but they are out of business now.

Reply to
John Crea

Hey, Doug....

while the portalign and it's clones are no substitute for a drill press, they aren't without usefulness. there are lots of hole drilling jobs where what is needed is slightly better accuracy than can get by hand and eye alone and/or enough repetitive layouts to do that stops on the base make sense and/or workpieces that are too big to fit in the drill press that the cheezy thing ends up being pretty useful. that said, mine sits in a drawer most of the time.

and for the OP, try ebay. Bridger

Reply to
Bridger

I've never used the portalign, but the $27 crafstman drill guide (Sears item #00967173000 )they are selling isn't too bad. I have one and like it pretty well. Here are my caveats:

  1. Expect some profanity to eminate from your mouth while setting it up
  2. Don't trust the angle guide. Use layout tools to determine your angles
  3. You may want to replace the included depth stop with something a bit sturdier (Although I use the stock one)
  4. You can't use the springs and the depth stop together. This is pretty annoying.
  5. No keyless chuck :(

Other than that it works pretty well. Comes in handy over a drill press when working with sheet goods. I'd also recommend dedicating a drill to the guide rather than switching out.

Jay

Reply to
Jay

replying to Jay, Pradipta Shome wrote: Can someone explain how to affix the drill to the Portalign tool. Thanks much Pradipta

Reply to
Pradipta Shome

Most hand drills have 3/8"-24tpi threaded shank, and the three-jaw chuck is threaded on. Open the chuck jaws fully, and reach down with a screwdriver, and remove the retaining screw (usually LEFT HAND THREAD and Philips #2 fits) then the chuck (RIGHT HAND thread) can be unscrewed. If it doesn't unthread easily, chuck up a hex key and strike with mallet to break the threads loose.

The Portalign shaft screws on in place of the chuck, and the other end of the shaft takes the three-jaw chuck.

Reply to
whit3rd

If that procedure is above your pay grade, you should prolly "chuck" it and get a newer model:

Reply to
Spalted Walt

replying to Cyberosity!, Coffee Tim wrote: September 22, 2019 I bought mine in the early 80's and it is still working good. Today on Amazon I found two similar units that are designed to be like the Portalign tool. A bit more costly for one of them and REALLY expensive for the other one.Unless you are just collecting tools I would say take a look at the generic brands there and on eBay. I think the Portalign is great for portable use since a drill press is usually heavy and stationary. Besides, it is easier to take up a ladder and use it on the roof.

Reply to
Coffee Tim

replying to Doug Miller, Coffee Tim wrote: I bought mine years ago and have no complaints. Not everyone needs micrometer accuracy for our homeowner building projects and repairs.

Reply to
Coffee Tim

replying to Bridger, Coffee Tim wrote: DITTO!!! Well said!

Reply to
Coffee Tim

replying to Spalted Walt, Coffee Tim wrote: Sure hope that was a friend of yours that you gave that rude response to.

Reply to
Coffee Tim

Ease up on the caffeine, Troll. Buh Bye

Spalted Walt