Sears power tool parts

I"ve got an Craftsman bench grinder I bought over 30+ years ago. Needs a replacement for one of the eyeshelds. When I go to the searsparts website and look up the model number it finds it but they no longer carry that part. So I looked at some of their current bench grinders and it looked like maybe the eye shields on them might fit. So I copied the model number of the ones they are SELLING NOW and plugged it into the parts site and it doesn't find anything for that model number - like the grinder doesn't even exist. Does that mean sears is no longer going to provide parts for their stuff?

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

many new items are sold with no parts available:(

I bought a brand new Sears 8 HP chipper around 800 bucks and wore out the t ree chiiping blade in a month, it was a severe service event nearly trimmed forest.

i was unable to get chipper blade parts and after it being at their service depot for perhaps 6 months my complaints finally got me a whole new chippe r, they sent the old one to the trash compactor.. i offered them a 100 buck s for it but they refused. both chippers were the same exact model

i tried ordering a extra chipper blade set but was unable to buy the part. if you ask me this is stupid....

Reply to
bob haller

I wonder if a machine shop could make one for you? I know guys with CNC machines that can take a hunk of any metal and through the use of magic, can turn out anything. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

That's what I suspected. Their new stuff has the old Craftsman name and paint colors but looks a lot like it was made by the same company(s) that make stuff for harbor Freight. I tried getting some extra blades for something at harbor freight once and I must have been the only person who ever asked.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I've seen exploded parts diagrams for HF tools, and Craftsman is good about the online data. But, to not have parts (like chipper blades) available? Sounds like a bad corporate decision some where up the line. Old folks like me, we desire to have replacement parts available.

. Christ>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sears didn?t even have the magnetron for one of their microwaves. We?re all going to have to learn Chinese if we want any parts.

Reply to
recyclebinned

I am predicting a long thread of mock Chinese names, to follow. There is an old Chinese man who runs a shop. Can't remember his phone number, but you should be able to find him in the phone book.

His name is Nofu Kin Wei.

On a more serious note, sometimes other brand of item can be made to work. Hoover attachments for a Bissel carpet cleaner, for example. I've been looking for a new tip for my 1994 Kenmore carpet cleaner, that I think was made by Bissel. Just impossible to find. A friend of mine borrowed it, and stepped on the ancient, brittle plastic tip and broke it beyond repair. I did find part of such a tip on Ebay, and bought it.

. Christ>>

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

What is the thickness? Could you cut plexi and glass? Glass on the bottom of the sandwich.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

Yes, a good shop could make such a part. Starting from scratch, with no jigs, and no plans, it shouldn't cost over $1000.

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

I am extremely fortunate:) My best friend has a machine shop in his basement, with a foundry, he can melt and pour alunimum and brass, south bend lathe, welding if its metal he can do it...

right now he is building a 18 horse power scooter in his basement......

the only trouble he is 81......

Reply to
bob haller

Not sure how that is a problem...you don't think he's going to last? Count your blessings!

Reply to
Bob_Villa

I admit having no idea of the cost without asking one of the guys at the machine shops I'm familiar with. I have had many parts made at machine shops that weren't outrageously expensive but necessary because there was no source for an OEM part. If a shop wants too much money for a job, I'd try a school and speak to an instructor there and see if the students would make the part as a project for their learning practical machining. Trade schools in my area have had students repair vehicles for low income folks referred to them by charitable organizations. It's been many years since I had any contact with anyone involved so I don't know if it's still done because of liability concerns due to the litigious nature of modern society. o_O

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

Old folks don't believe in disposable tools for some odd reason but I did work for an electrical supplier 4 decades ago that was a Black & Decker industrial power tool supplier. The B&D rep explained to us that they were making two different 1/4" drills. One drill cost $100.00 and the other was priced at $10.00. The reason was contractors had too many $100.00 drills broken or stolen so they would buy a bunch of $10.00 drills and throw them away at the end of a job because the things were worn out or broken. The contractors were pleased with the cost saving afforded by the inexpensive tools which got the job done. I would assume that contractors are now buying the equivalent of the $10.00 drill at Harbor Freight instead of an industrial supply house. ^_^

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

He gets senior discount, while riding his 18 HP scooter in and out of the malls?

. Christ> I am extremely fortunate:) My best friend has a machine shop in his basement, with a foundry, he can melt and pour alunimum and brass, south bend lathe, welding if its metal he can do it...

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

The local TruValue store used to get parts for tools. I got parts for my DeWalt drill and maybe a Makita drill also from them. I have no idea if they could get stuff that would fit Craftsman. It's an Ace Hardware now so who knows what they would or could do.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

If they know their "stuff" they may know who manufactured it for Sears and order the parts that way.

Reply to
Bob_Villa

I need a part too. I have been using a wonderful light Sears battery weed wacker. Replacement plastic blades are not available. It's only 2-3 years old. I only have 1 1/2 left. I tried using wire, no good. A crimped piece of regular string might work, but I need a ferrule of some sort.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

The blades have to be the right weight.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

See if this looks different.

Greg

Reply to
gregz

Sears products often have a model number in the form of 123.45678. The first digits represent the source or manufacturer. See or .

If you can find a part number at the Sears PartsDirect website, it is usually the manufacturer's part number. It is possible a part discontinued by Sears, is still available from other sources.

Fred

Reply to
Fred McKenzie