adjutable shelving system

On a kitchen wall I want to put some shelves- 4" or so deep-

The space is about 48" wide & high-- and I want to put 3 vertical strips but keep them hidden-- and I'd like to be able to slide the shelves horizontally.

Something like this-- but with floating shelves;

Should I just build each shelf-- or is there some hardware that will get me there easily?

Thanks- Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

"Ajutable" shelves might need an attorney to install. (-:

I think I know what you mean by floating shelves but I want to be sure. ?

I don't know how the shelving system at that website is braced - I can't see that kind of detail which lately I have found frustrating in a number of internet purchases. Are the standards notched? Is there hidden metal bracing? I've seen such shelves with a groove cut on the underside to accommodate a bracing/tensioning threaded rod that screws into the standard.

The shelves in that image just don't seem to have adequate support. I can't figure out how wide the shelves or standards are or how they are joined. I know that you've used this just for an example but it sounds like you want a vertical slotted standard type shelf support but want to conceal it so the slots aren't visible.

I am not sure I know of any such hardware. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about the heavy duty steel shelving systems that you should use to support anything you'd like not to get broken, having been burned by slight differences between ClosetMaid, Duratek and a few other shelf makers. But I am sure that a whole host of cabinet-making sites have some pretty complex shelving hardware that might just fit your needs.

I hope that helps but I am pretty sure it didn't. Such is Usenet. Tell me what you mean by "floating" and I can help confuse things further. Or farther. I was never quite sure about those two words. I think farther refers to physical distances and further to figurative distances.

Reply to
Robert Green

Saw that this morning-- Does any software spell-check the subject line, or I am I supposed to read it before I post?

-snip-

I want the vertical supports and the brackets to be as invisible as possible. The brackets don't necessarily have to be invisible-- but I don't want them interfering with the shelf-space below.

That was more to illustrate how I want the shelves to appear-- narrow shelves, that 'wander' left and right. And I'd like to be able to move them from the original setup.

I can blend the slots in with paint and 'stuff' on the shelves-- the brackets are the bugaboo on all the systems I've run across since I started looking this time. Seems like I saw more 'invisible' ones a decade or 2 ago when I was looking for another system.

-snip-

Lettuce hope that we have further confused folks into the farthest reaches of confusion.

Thanks- Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

It doesn't have decorator aesthetics, but the best solution might be to use conventional metal angle irons to support the shelves. If you just rest the shelf on the horizontal arm of the angle iron, it can be shifted left-right (as you seem to desire), but will only reduce the headroom of the shelf below by about 1/8" at most. The major problem might be forward creep of the shelf, allowing small items to fall off the back, or worst case - the shelf falling entirely off the bracket. If the shelf is wood, maybe you can use thumb tacks through the holes from underneath the horizontal arms of the brackets to keep the shelves from creeping but allow for easy removal and repositioning of a shelf. Not elegant, but a potential solution to your requirement.

Reply to
Peter

These are nice, but expensive. Can't see how the thickness adjustment works, but maybe if you get it right you can slide the shelves.

Very unobtrusive. Just seem expensive to me. These cut the cost in half.

No personal knowledge about how good these are, but is you're looking for low profile, they fit the bill. If you want vertical adjustment, you'd have to add them to where you want the shelf location to adjust to. Wouldn't be as "adjustable" as the typical rails/brackets system, but easier to hide these than rails. Otherwise, a typical rail system. But most I've seen are for wider shelves. Here's a 4"

Vic Smith

Yes Thunderbird does.

Reply to
Art Todesco

you're looking for something like this

but they're not adjustable

Reply to
chaniarts

Thunderbird and another (whose name just evaporated) do, but both are memory hogs on my machines. They do have a lot of nice features and *wonderful* integration with providers like Google and Yahoo mail, downloading copies of everything to YOUR machine, IIRC. Worth gold to people who need it.

-snip-

That's tough for shelves that will have to carry any weight. I believe I've see fairly invisible glass (could have be Lucite) brackets that looked like they were floating. If you squinted a little.

That's a tall order. I used to dislike seeing the twin rows of slots on the Duratek shelving I use. So I just made sure all my shelves have enough stuff on them to block anyone from seeing the slots. (-:

I started looking and realized that the Internet was peculiarly *unsuited* to evaluating things that you can't see, like invisible shelving supports. I have seen a number of apparently invisible shelves but AFAICT they must have an embedded metal T brace built into the support and it's hidden inside the shelf standard with the base of the T jutting outward. That extension seems to support the shelf with the T brace embedded in a probably in a long hole or cut-out channel. IOW, not adjustable.

The free bookshelf that came with an in-home preview of the print version of the Encyclopedia Britannica was constructed like that with embedded screw-rods for bracing.

I don't give a farthing. (-:

(You know that some reader is giggling to himself "He wrote 'fart'")

Seriously, though, I'll make sure to look around when I am at a place that sells shelving where I can open up the package and look inside.

Reply to
Robert Green

Now Art, you know as a fellow X10 user/sufferer that I love you dearly, but if anything ever needed major snippage, it was your one liner. I had to search a few times to find your comment. I've seen a lot of pretty serious and embarrassing subject line spelling errors in corporate communications and OE, at least, doesn't make it easy to spell check those subject lines.

Something tells me that the design team was well aware of the problem but had to deliver the product by a certain deadline and spelling checking for subject lines was never executed or perhaps could never be debugged. OE has lots of known errors that have propagated into later version indicating most upgrades are just a new shade of lipstick on the same old dog.

Reply to
Robert Green