Twinslot shelving - cosmetic improvements

Are there any dressing/cosmetic covers for exposed twinslot rail to make it less ugly? Obviously needs to be trimmable to length.

I'd like to use it for a wide but not deep TV stand with deeper and narrower hifi/media shelves underneath.

Reason: drywall and the rails spread the load better than a TV mount; and the whole lot remains off the floor.

My other plan it to fit "floating" vertical back panels clipped to the rails with magnets - but that will involve more carpentry.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I'd go for floating back panels (I assume the rails are steel rather than aluminium?), that helps you to hide all the wiring nicely.

Reply to
newshound

Never seen anything for that purpose.

Some mini-trunking?

Fredxxx

In message , Tim Watts writes

I hid a single slot set.

Long while ago but mainly bench saw work.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Oh that is nice :)

Why does no-one do a commercial version!

I'd don't have the skills or tools for that - but I'm interested. Did you:

Route out the back of a bit of 2x1" for the uprights? (This is kinda what I was after)

How did you make the bracket covers?

Reply to
Tim Watts

It was a variation on one idea that passed through my mind, only using D-Line round. Couple of magnets siliconed into the back of it...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Indeed they will be steel. I know where to get rare earth magnet discs with a countersunk screw hole so was thinking just to surface mount these leaving rail depth plus an 1/8" stand off.

As you say, it would be quite a cool way to hide the cables.

If I get used some suitable width shelving panels as the uprights, all I'd have to do is cut to length and take some cutouts around the top 2 corners to miss the next shelf's brackets. You'd see the brackets - but I think the overall effect would be OK.

It would then follow on that one could put sides on it, boxing in the 3 or so short media shelves which would leave it looking a bit like a mantel with the telly on top.

What would then top it off is a glass door on the front - but that gets complicated. Can glaziers cut glass with hinge mounts?

At that point, you'd not really see the brackets anyway.

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have to confess being unable to remember. Roughly 20 years ago!

The upright sections are a simple *U* shape and I think the slot was cut using multiple passes on an adjustable depth table saw. It doesn't take long if you do a long length and then cut to size. I had a choice of notching the shelves to meet the wall or cutting a step so the upright cover tucks behind.

The support hiding the shelf bracket is a mystery. Possibly roughed out by my woodworking tenant using a narrow bladed bandsaw and hand finished by me with a spokeshave and sander. The bracket slot is bench saw but mine are thin. You would make a better job with a router as you can stop short of the visible end.

Devising jigs to aid repeat component manufacture can be very satisfying:-)

Reply to
Tim Lamb

More a work of art!

Reply to
David Lang

On 07 Nov 2015, Tim Watts grunted:

Not a bespoke cover; but have you had a look at the range of plastic extruded trims you can get at Wickes? There are loads of different ones, all shapes and sizes - from memory I think there's on which would cover over the rail quite neatly.

Reply to
Lobster

Can't really see any cover - which will be larger - looking any better. And getting a perfect fit round the brackets a problem too?

Fitting a sheet material between the uprights so they appear flush can improve the looks if you think it worth it, though.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It passed through my mind as a suggestion, butmost trunking has ID printing on the back - the front when used as capping.

Malcolm

Reply to
Malcolm Race

I had considered that, and a lot of trunking has an adhesive back rather than ID.

The smaller, capping, part could be cut to the correct length and snapped in position between the shelves after they are in position.

I can't see the problem you foresee?

Reply to
Fredxxx

Thanks - I will check :)

Reply to
Tim Watts

I actually like the look of these slots, and it makes a wonderful home for little spiders to keep the fly population down. Brian

Reply to
Brian-Gaff

Hey I stumbled across this thread cause I was looking for something similar to what the other Tim asked for. I clicked on the link but I can't see any thing other than some rather impressive home renovations. I know it's been a while but do you still have the pics of this idea? I'm looking to do cove r the twin slot system too, mainly to keep water out. It won't be drenched but it may get splashed occasionally. Plus it'd be coo to cover it up with something nice. Cheers mate.

Reply to
decal416

Can you post some context?

Reply to
Tim Watts

I was just wondering about that. There used to be something like square section trunking with one side open that went between wall and vertical runners which you cut and hoped it would hold clamped between the vertical piec and the wall. I never found it much good as all the walls in my house are somewhat less than flat and hence the term fitting where it touched came to mind! Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Might have been me. I put some pics on P Bucket but they are long gone from there. If that is a valid mail address I could dig them out and send them to him.

Reply to
Tim Lamb

stick em on wiki

NT